PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Help!!

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Hey Zilvia! So i am not new to the forums, been a long time lurker! I finally got my hands on another sr swapped 240sx, and i am loving it but of course there are a few quirks! lol

Specs:
1990 hatch
blacktop s13 sr
tomei poncams
2871 spec jb turbo
walbro 255
greddy catch can
type s style recirc bov
fmic
greddy intake
z32 maf
custom tune
off brand adjustable fpr (running about 50 psi)
550cc sard injectors

I have had some issues with idle/fuel, i have a wideband afr gauge i am going to be installing in the near future, which should help me track down that issue.

However, last night i was driving home from work, and my car started running like crap. As i came around a corner, i gassed out of it like anyone would do into a small amount of boost and right when it actually hit boost, it just sputtered and had no power at all. Just after, i tried to venture into boost slowly, and i was able to climb rpm's but if i got on the gas hard (big boost) it just sputtered again. I pulled over to do a quick inspection, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, nothing was unplugged, i didn't see any loose couplers, no leaks or anything but i noticed a loud ticking noise. First thought it was an injector, sounds like the type of clicking an injector would make. Another thought, was maybe a valve hitting to valve cover? Or the timing chain? It still seems to drive okay in low rpm's, idle is rough however. Another thing i noticed after this went down, was that the fuel pump has not been priming the system prior to cranking, as it usually does (takes about 10 seconds before turning off and then i crank). Tonight i am going to check for boost leaks and vacuum leaks, and i am waiting on a vc gasket to come in before i pull the valve cover off this weekend to inspect. Also thinking about getting a new walbro fuel pump to replace mine. I am still chasing the idle problem, with it not staying at a consistent rpm, idling between 8-1400 rpm. Any other ideas on what this could be? Could i maybe be misfiring? What should i check? Is it okay to drive the car in the meantime out of boost completely? Does it sound like a fuel issue? Just looking to get some more expert insight, this car is my daily driver i need to figure this out quick!

cotbu
12-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Stop driving the car! Pull the valve cover off, look around take pictures of the rockers and guides. Pull codes, do boost leak tests. Best case you might have to set base idle and timing and fix some leaks.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 06:25 PM
I can not pull codes unfortunately, it is an obd 1 car and i dont have a proper scanner. I am going to pull the valve cover off as soon as i can, should i just be looking for something that looks out of place? Or anything else in particular ?

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 06:26 PM
And unfortunately i have to drive the car home tonight from work! I cant leave it here. Would it be absolutely stupid to drive it or can i at least make it home? Thanks for the advice!