PDA

View Full Version : smog test Q?

nightwalker
10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
For you smog techs. What does BAR want you to do if are about to smog a car that is a quart low on oil?

-do you add oil and go ahead with the smog?
-ask the customer if you can put in oil then smog?
-or abort?

Ritz S14
10-05-2004, 01:31 PM
hahahaha

What I would Do? Or What am I susposed to do..

WHat I would.. add oil then charge them..

What I'm susposed to do.. Ask the customer put it down on the work order..and continue with smog

what's probably right.. abort..charge customer..ask to add oil. restart inspection.

But you don't check the oil before inepection. At least I don't..unless I hear some crazy ass valves ticking.

There was a similar question when I took the smog test.. About a serpentine belt breaking. Replace and smog? abort.. ask customer ..fill out a w/o smog.. keep going with test..and so on. Thank God I don't have to take the EA exam anymore, although I did pass it on my first attemp.

nightwalker
10-05-2004, 01:38 PM
thanks man. Taking that thing tomorow. got a "study guide" but it was somehow missing that one little Q. ;)

Ritz S14
10-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Study the BLUE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's like the smog bible.

edit. extra comment deleted.

Var
10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Advise the customer of the problem. Make a modification to the estimate. Add a quart of oil. The technician has the right to abort the test if the problem isnt taken care of. You dont have to be liable for things like that

DriftDragon28
10-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I dont think ive ever encountered that. I do smogs at a dealership and all the cars go through a safety check first. lol im a spoiled smog guy :D all OBD II cars most 98 and newer. lol yea id just add oil unless the guy looked like a under cover then go by the book. who the hell comes up with questions like this anyway?

SirWarrior
10-06-2004, 12:01 AM
My car is "too low" to be put on a dyno to be smogged, so they just do the idle test and gas cap.
HEHEHE.