PDA

View Full Version : standalone for ka?

mikespeed95
10-05-2004, 03:14 AM
who makes them? experiences? prices?

i feel dumb asking this 2nd questino but will somethign for sr work on ka by any chance?

Macadoshus
10-05-2004, 08:28 AM
To answer your second question, a standalone can be made to work on anything. So KA or SR. They, however, tend to be relatively expensive, at least a grand and going upward quickly depending on how crazy you want to go. Plus, the cost of tuning.

You might want to consider reprogramming your factory ECU, this is generally cheaper and can be good for a considerable amount of power. You might be surprised to learn what the factory ECU is capable of properly tuned.

Jeff240sx
10-05-2004, 10:02 AM
TEC3r, AEM EMS. Those are made and run on many 240s. Then you can wire up any other unit, like Haltec.
-Jeff

Brian W.
10-05-2004, 12:32 PM
We have had great sucess with the Electromotive units on both KA and SR engines. Tec2 and Tec3. Contact me if you need anymore info.

TheSnail
10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
You can get a realy nice Motec, that if you have 8,000 to drop. In our buget, <1200$ , I would choose a Haltec. Off ebay, you can find a nice e6k for 800$ un-used, and maybe find a E6x for the same if your lucky.

pr240sx
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Does anybody have tried the following:
Accel DFI
F.A.S.T.

I have seen both in action but want to know everyones opinion.

mikespeed95
10-05-2004, 04:03 PM
i have some freinds with haltec and i was mainly wondering if that would work.

and yes i know standalone can be expensive, but im also not a fan of pre-"tuned" ecus. too many variables on different setups to make that work correctly imo.

RBS14
10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm going to be running an AEM EMS. Plugs into the stock wiring harness. no wiring. And they pulled 37whp and 45ft/lbs out of a stock twin cam with an intake. I'm down! And they're around $1500.

RedlineRacer
10-05-2004, 08:50 PM
I have never understood the reason for a standalone. Why not just use a A/F controller, an EGT guage, and a good A/F guage and tune it with that? Its a lot cheaper and easier.

kandyflip445
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
I have never understood the reason for a standalone. Why not just use a A/F controller, an EGT guage, and a good A/F guage and tune it with that? Its a lot cheaper and easier.

Resolution. Driveability. BLING!!!!!

derux
10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
this is a good one that i have used on a few cars

http://034efi.com/

mikespeed95
10-06-2004, 12:51 AM

and tune it with what? theres only so much you can do with stock ecu/piggyback.

sideviewcivic
10-06-2004, 02:33 AM
anyone have experience with the www.sdsefi.com systems. i was looking into picking one up for my KA and goin with crank trigger and map sensors. or even the megasquirt system. ill pay someone to build it for me since i dont have the time to do so. just as soon as i understand all the parameters of the megasquirt system

RedlineRacer
10-06-2004, 08:12 AM
and tune it with what? theres only so much you can do with stock ecu/piggyback.

an a/f controller

RBS14
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
so how are you gonna tune ignition with an a/f controller?

a/f controllers trick your computer, thus making your power curve really jagged and less drivable. standalones do it the right way.

tErbo b00st
10-06-2004, 05:45 PM

Can a S-AFC control a 16x16 fuel map (or up to 32x32)? NOPE
Can a S-AFC control ignition timing? NOPE

The stock ecu is configured for the stock turbo, boost, ect. So while yes, you can fool it to think you are taking in more air, you are doing just that...fooling it on the stock fuel and ignition curve.

On top of that, most standalones come with really cool features such as:
Boost Control
Launch Control
Fan Control
Monitering all engine vitals
Data Logging
ability to tune for BOV venting to atmosphere

A/F controllers are good for cheap tuning, but if you wanna do it right you gotta go standalone.

96twofourty
10-06-2004, 10:02 PM
sds makes good standalones that are somewhat inexpensive

Jeff240sx
10-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Can a S-AFC control a 16x16 fuel map ? NOPE
Can a S-AFC control ignition timing? NOPE

Emanage can.
-Jeff

RBS14
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
^^^^

but emanage's are REALLY hard to tune correctly. when greddy made their turbo kit for z33, they had to fly some crazy tuner guy in from japan to tune the emanage for it. I'm not good enough at tuning to do that kind of stuff. I want something that I can learn to tune, even if it takes a lot of time.

phrozen
10-06-2004, 11:36 PM
rbs14 u have a link where i can read those #'s for that kinda power increase iwth just intake and tuning

RBS14
10-06-2004, 11:55 PM
you might have to register, but it only takes a few minutes.

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8725

biggest gain was 37rwhp, but maximum power gain was 25rwhp which is awesome. It'll definately make tuning and squeezing every hp out of the n/a setup I hope to build a lot easier.

mikespeed95
10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
thats insane. im gonna check out that link. i wonder if its valid.

meme
10-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Anyone bought the TEC3 ecu from KA24de.com? looking into getting a tec3 and they have the brackets already made.

sideviewcivic
10-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I read in TPRmag that TEC3 caused alot of EMI problems with sparking to the plugs. TEC3 is overpriced when SDS or megasquirt can do the same for less. Getting a standalone with all the bells and whitsles usually isnt the best choice for a particular application.

MeMe were you going to stay NA or go FI, im curious cuz im wanting to go standlone also, im really interested in that innovate AF controller with 44min capability to record data.

meme
10-12-2004, 12:49 AM
I read in TPRmag that TEC3 caused alot of EMI problems with sparking to the plugs. TEC3 is overpriced when SDS or megasquirt can do the same for less. Getting a standalone with all the bells and whitsles usually isnt the best choice for a particular application.

MeMe were you going to stay NA or go FI, im curious cuz im wanting to go standlone also, im really interested in that innovate AF controller with 44min capability to record data.

http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/project/ka_turbokit/100_000434.JPG
i already have turbo. i really want to use the megasquirt with the ignition tunning. i just don't know how to put the boards together.

kaje36
10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
MicroTech is a farly cheap ECU.. also they seem to be quite a powerfull ECU.. its been a while since i compared.. but they were close to the same features as the EMS.. they even make adapters so you can plug the stock harness into there unit.. thats I knew they did do it for the KA, and yes it does use stock sensors