PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Koyo ok for GS AutoX?

vegita319
10-05-2004, 02:56 AM
I was looking over the rules for a stock class for AutoX. It said something about it being ok to having a bigger tank. Im just curious, does this mean I can have an all Aluminum Koyo Radiator? I replaced my old radiator and i don't want to be bumped up a class since I'm going to be a novice entering soon and want to stay in the GS until I get some podium finishes. Thank you ahead for the info.

AKADriver
10-05-2004, 07:47 AM
When they refer to tanks, they remean the overflow tank (the plastic coolant bottle mounted to the fender). Radiators have to be stock... this is to prevent people from installing a super-lightweight radiator or something.

hurleyboi514
10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
you dont need that kind of radiator in GS, you wouldnt even get it hot on a race track if its properly blead. take that money and spend it on some shocks or slicks...

kandyflip445
10-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Just run a higher class and take the ass kicking while learning something from the other drivers.

LanceS13
10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Sounds like he already has it.

This is about the only rule (or lack thereof) I disagree with completely. I think oil coolers and radiators (of equivalent or greater size than stock) should be allowed in Stock. I mean, you really won't need it on an autocross course, but it helps cars that serve double duty. I'm not aware of a coolant system rule anywhere in Stock, Street Prepared, STS, or Street Mod...but I'm running a Koyo in DSP. There is no peformance advantage...in fact, as puny as the stock radiator is, the Koyo is actually quite a bit heavier. It baffles me that Prepared is the only class that even mentions upgraded radiators and air ducting. I would have to have serious words with the weenie that protests my freakin' radiator.
99.9% probably won't care that you're carrying around another 15lbs of water and aluminum.