PDA

View Full Version : '91 Ka wont start... Possible solutions?...

Teb74
10-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Well at the moment my car is stuck in my garage and won't turn over... Earlier i was driving had to get gas and when I went to restart it would not, push started it and was able to get home. The battery is fine I've checked the voltage, i've got power, radio works etc. So that would eliminate the alternator from being a suspect since it's charging the battery. Does that make my prime suspect the Starter? Or any other suggestions? I've already replaced the starter RELAY. If any one could give me some tips or other possible problems that'd be great!

andrave
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
does it turn over?
cause mine wouldn't start one day and it turned out to be the switch under the clutch that lets the car start with the clutch depressed. It wouldn't crank at all.

Teb74
10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Doesn't turn over or anything its just dead just you can only hear the clicking from the fusible link box?, the starter relay and then the starter...

idlafie
10-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Well at the moment my car is stuck in my garage and won't turn over... Earlier i was driving had to get gas and when I went to restart it would not, push started it and was able to get home. The battery is fine I've checked the voltage, i've got power, radio works etc. So that would eliminate the alternator from being a suspect since it's charging the battery. Does that make my prime suspect the Starter? Or any other suggestions? I've already replaced the starter RELAY. If any one could give me some tips or other possible problems that'd be great!

Pull the cover off your steering column and check your ignition switch. On the opposite side of where the key goes into the ignition you'll see the ignition wires going into a multi-pole switch...the switch consisting of 5 positions..a). Lock, b) Off, c). ACC, d). ON, & most importantly e). START. That multi-pole switch should be held in place by two small philips head screws. Remove those two small screws, then pull the switch out of the steering column housing. Once you get the switch off the housing, you can then stick a small screwdriver into the plastic slot on the opposite end of the switch. While you turn that switch with a screwdriver, check the voltage on the wires on the back of the switch. You're primarily concerned with the wires that connect to the START position of the switch. IF the switch goes bad, then the ignition switch won't provide power to the starter to start the car.
Use a multimeter when you check the voltage while you turn the switch. You should get 12 volts out of the switch on the START position. If the switch is bad, then you won't get zip out of it...the ACC & ON position of the switch will still work, but not the START position.
Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID

Teb74
10-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Checked the ignition switch and everything checks out okay same as the clutch switch, i've narrowed it down to the starter and just installed a new one, Seemed to solve the problem! Thanks for the help on narrowing it down to that! No more push starts woohoo!

projectRDM
10-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Go ahead and bypass the starter relay to take it out of the equation, less problems to worry about.

andrave
10-06-2004, 10:29 PM
teb- glad to hear that you followed the advice I gave you on messenger and it worked out for you!
once you told me the problems I was pretty sure that it was the starter.

pettiford
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
does anybody knowthe name of the switch that sits under the clutch?

Rabboni
08-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow, good job bumping a thread from 2004 for something that wasnt really even related to your question. Next time try the "Small Questions Thread," or google it first.

tommytwo40hands
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
does anybody knowthe name of the switch that sits under the clutch?

I believe its called the clutch inhibitor switch