PDA

View Full Version : S14 engine noise :(

Madamazing
11-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Desperately need some help identifying what this noise coming from my poor baby is! I have a 95 s14 with a sr blacktop. Everything was built correctly and I've never really had any problems wth it. That is, till I let it sit in my garage for a few years :'( bad I know

Now when I start it up, it makes this weird grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine (standing facing at the hood). The noise is present at idle and when revving, it does get louder when I rev.i also sometimes hear this noise that sounds like a bell ringing every few minutes. Video at the bottom of the post.

Timing chain? Alternator? Of course I'm praying this isn't rod knock :(

VIDEO LINK:
http://youtu.be/7-J-5gXkwn8

Any ideas are much appreciated!!!!!

2.5T_/<ouki
11-11-2016, 08:13 AM
I could be wrong but honestly that doesn't sound like rod knock to me. It almost sounds like your cat is blown or timing chain. Whenever I've had a cat go bad, it literally sounds like wrenches inside of tin can.

Madamazing
11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Yea I'm definitely leaning more towards it not being a rod knock but would love some more opinions too! I'm planning to sell it and just want to be sure! Anyone else have an idea as well?

Primo's Silvia
11-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Sounds like your turbo does it spool or boost up?? Because mine sounds like that.

Madamazing
11-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Sounds like your turbo does it spool or boost up?? Because mine sounds like that.

I haven't really driven it in a while but just from starting it on my garage I definitely noticed it's not boosting or spooling. And I have a turbo timer that mysteriously stopped working too. My buddy took a look at the car and thought it was the turbo as well but some of my other friends say they've never heard a noise from a turbo like that before and talked me out of it. Do you have a vid of yours by chance?

Primo's Silvia
11-11-2016, 06:30 PM
If you take your intake off along with the turbo outlet try to feel if theirs any shaft play and give it a spin that's how'll you will no for sure, I don't have a video

Alan_405
11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
I am running into the same issue with my Tomei turbo. Fired it up last night and its the damn near the same noise. Im thinking it might be the wastegate clucking or whatever for some reason...Did you ever find the fix?

Dimebag....