PDA

View Full Version : S13 Slave Cylinder Noise

Froskie
11-08-2016, 11:30 AM
The car made a squeaking noise so i took the transmission off to see what was wrong, and overall a lot of the things listed below were in bad shape so they all got replaced with new OEM products.

TOB
Transmission Boot
Flywheel
Clutch Disc
Pressure Plate
Clutch Fork
Pivot Ball
Plate and Sleeve the Fork slides on
New Gear Oil
Braided stainless steel clutch line
I also have the damper block deleted

The reason i'm here today is there is a noise coming from the slave cylinder when the car is in IDLE and i wonder if anyone knows what the problem may be. I really think i need to adjust the clutch pedal because i doubt it's ever been done since driven and the car is a 90'.

I also wonder if maybe it's the slave cylinder itself, i bought a brand new one for the proper engine and it always seems like the metal nipple on the end is always too long or it makes the clutch fork have to be pushed back more than it needs to just to be installed.

AFTER the clutch is pushed in either while the car is on or off the squeaking noise will go away, and i only have to push maybe 2-4 inches in order to make the squeaking stop. i just fear if i let this go i'll end up having to replace some things i JUST bought and would hate to do that. Lmk what you all think, it'd be much appreciated.

The car is a 1990 hatch with a ka24de and the transmission and engine are both stock besides new oem parts that have been installed.

anti tyler
11-08-2016, 11:36 AM
So you're saying the throw out bearing is squeaking.

the slave cylinder moves in and out. it doesn't rotate.

You should probably make a video because describing a squeak in text does it no justice.

d_nice
11-08-2016, 11:38 AM
i am also wanting to know what could it be. I think it Slave Cylinder but i change it also and still makes the noise,.

Froskie
11-08-2016, 11:41 AM
I agree on the text audio lol but what i mean is the slave cylinder itself is squeaking when the car is cranked and in idle. I can tell because i got under the car and i can hear it squeaking as if it's moving back and forth while the clutch isn't engaged but when the clutch is engaged the noise goes away. I hope this helps, thanks for the quick replies!

I'm gonna change out the slave cylinder and try to adjust the clutch pedal and see if it helps.

s13silvia123
11-08-2016, 02:03 PM
did you change the pilot bearing

Froskie
11-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Yeah pilot bearing was a PITA to remove and install but it is brand new as well. I also lubed the shaft up with some high temp grease just a tad though so none got on the clutch etc.

I removed my old slave cylinder and got a new one, i swear they're just cheaply made. The products always seem like they were thrown together when i install it. Any suggestions on higher quality slave cylinders for a s13? it doesn't seem like i should have to go that route just to drive my car....

But i read all over the internet that 240sx's have slave cylinder whines. Which scares me after having to replace 3-$400 worth of transmisson parts.

fatduece
11-09-2016, 08:18 AM
There is no such thing as a slave cylinder whine ��

Froskie
11-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Well it could be re worded to noise from the slave cylinder but you know what i mean, i just don't see why any noise would be coming from the transmission at all especially since everything was installed properly.
I get that things need to break in, but i'm just being hesitant because this is what caused me to take it apart and see what was wrong in the first place.

Froskie
11-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I got video of it just trying to upload it on my phone

Froskie
11-09-2016, 07:32 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bLlh6GNgEs

Lmk what you think this is!

rawgarage
11-09-2016, 10:45 PM
Well that's def an odd sound

Kingtal0n
11-10-2016, 07:44 AM
make sure you have some space between the tob and pressure plate.

adjust the clutch so that there is this space between the two. You should be able to "wiggle" about ~1" of dead throw at the clutch pedal to ensure this space exists. This clutch pedal play ensures the tob does not ride the pressure plate.

I listen to the video and I am not sure exactly that this is the problem. However you mentioned the noise goes away when you lightly press the pedal, and that usually indicates that contact between the tob and pressure plate is silencing the noise, which means that the noise was due to the tob either rubbing slightly prior, or, improperly installed.\

Did you use a molybdenum sulfide lubricant on the tob as per FSM instructions? Did you clean thoroughly the tob sleeve? Use the same lubricant on the shaft of the trans?

Froskie
11-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah there is definitely some room, if i remove the slave cylinder and get under the car and push the clutch fork foward i dont feel it smacking anything. And i used some really good high temp lube on the TOB and the pivot ball and the clutch fork/shaft. I made sure the shaft was really good lubed but clean to where it wouldnt get everywhere. I think the clutch pedal has been backed up throughout years of driving the car, i want to adjust it 1-2inches and see if it helps.

But after all the love and care i've done for this S13, if the tranny messes up after this rebuild im done with this car lmao. This is so frustrating.

I've never adjusted the clutch pedal but i just fear doing it too much and it "engaging" the clutch when it shouldn't be. But i have like 1-4 inches of play room before the clutch is engaged. If i push the pedal in 1-2 inches the noise goes away and it sounds fine.

Froskie
11-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Read on a forum that this is what someone had to resort to.

"I had my father-in-law come over to take a look at it, and he saw that the TOB is hitting the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is released. He disconnected the lines going to the new slave cylinder, and was able to press the bearing back slightly away from the fingers of the PP. I started it up again and it sounded completely normal. "

Froskie
11-10-2016, 12:17 PM
SCORE! adjusted the pedal and it's gone. thanks for helping me out everyone. Take care, till next time!