PDA

View Full Version : Rod knock or just wiped cam lobe

Bkahl
11-07-2016, 10:56 PM
A story summed up quick. I was taking my sr20det out and having some fun. After one strong pull it felt like the car lost power, like I was building boost but not moving anywhere, like a clutch slipping. . Looked down engine was super hot, I pulled over let the car cool down and limped it home. Car has a knocking sound but isn't heard at all times. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed my cams seem to be wiped. But I'm unsure if this is the only issue. I found copper like shavings in the oil and I'm unsure if that's from the cam lobe or a bearing of some sort. What's the best way to check for rod knock without tearing the motor down.

KAT-PWR
11-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Does it make a knocking sound?
When you rev it does the knocking frequency increase?

Cams aren't made of copper.

Rod Knock.

Bkahl
11-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Yes the car knocks. When I got the car home I took up and down the road once so I could listen to the sound again. It didn't seem to increase with speed. But just would make the sound for a couple seconds and stop. Then start for a couple seconds and stop. At idle the knock didn't seem apparent at all.

jedi03
11-08-2016, 07:50 AM
yup thats the bearings in your pan...

Bkahl
11-08-2016, 08:05 AM
What're my options? Complete tear down and rebuild??

Bkahl
11-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Couldn't it also be a cam bearing that went bad, and that's why I'm seeing the shavings.

hanzbrady
11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Couldn't it also be a cam bearing that went bad, and that's why I'm seeing the shavings.

If it where an LS1 yeah sure. But you have one of them der fancy nissin engines with da overhead cams

KAT-PWR
11-08-2016, 10:44 AM
No cam bearings dude.

Bkahl
11-08-2016, 11:02 AM
New to 240's and dual overhead cams. So basically I probably have (most likely) a rod knock, am I better off to buy a new motor or just rebuild. By better off I mean cheapest route

KAT-PWR
11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
We don't live where you do. Weigh the costs, call around, get quotes.

Kingtal0n
11-08-2016, 02:45 PM
a next engine is almost always going to be the cheaper/reliable option, once you start seeing debris.

SR20 have tiny orifices which even the slightest bit of grit will cause you a never ending stream of frustration.
If you want to rebuild one, do it to an engine which is already running good/in known great condition with clean oil.

Koukiii
11-12-2016, 04:40 AM
a next engine is almost always going to be the cheaper/reliable option, once you start seeing debris.

SR20 have tiny orifices which even the slightest bit of grit will cause you a never ending stream of frustration.
If you want to rebuild one, do it to an engine which is already running good/in known great condition with clean oil.

I agree. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing.