PDA

View Full Version : 98 KA Oil Pan Gasket...... Damn

drivenlegend
10-01-2004, 11:01 PM
I had a pretty nasty oil leak that had developed right in the front of my engine, and it wasn't really enough to be a front seal I didn't think. So I decided to redo my oil pan gasket, and I really think that was the problem. When I got the pan off, the entire front of the pan had all of the silicone blown out! I went down to autozone and they sold me a feldpro gasket that fit beautifully, and I went ahead and used some extra silicone around the bolt holes anyway.

I have to admit that this job SUCKED! I had to basically drop out the subframe and then lift up the engine with my cherry picker just to get the damn thing off.

Anyway, just letting you guys know that I'm going to try the feldpro gasket and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works!

Nate

meme
10-02-2004, 12:43 AM
i'm using the same gasket. has worked great so far.

drivenlegend
10-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Well...... I'm glad the gasket worked for you, but it is not too happy on my car. The leak got worse, really worse. So..... the hell with it, I'm taking it to a mechanic. I'm gonna be lazy.

Flybert
10-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Why don't you just do what you were supposed to do and use RTV?

nightwalker
10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
don't use a gasket on your oil pan. Only RTV. Use super grey.

Maeda
10-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Why in the world do you need to drop the subframe? Just take off the driveshaft and trannyx-member and engine mounts and you'll be able to get the pan out if you take off the pickup.

s13irdie2
10-05-2004, 12:10 AM
the subframe blocks the oil pan from coming out.