PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Alarm/GPS

R3b
09-08-2016, 07:32 PM
So ive been "investing" or should I say dumping more money into my car lately. I live in south fl a good deal away from miami and decent area but im a very paranoid person so I think its time to do an alarm for my car.

Originally I was going to get a generic viper alarm but the basic kit is 200ish plus install then I wanted there gps service and blah blah blah. Was going to be 500+ end of the day since I cant DIY it myself afaik.

I found compustar/dronemobile recently and they have this kit.
http://www.dronemobile.com/RSD-3100AS.html

A pretty penny but im thrifty so I found out I can buy exactly whats in the box for around 175.
Computstar 1 way remote 35$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CompuStar-RF-1WG6-AM-Remote-Kit-1000ft-Range-for-Remote-Start-or-Alarm-Systems-/272358920209?hash=item3f69db5011:g:BogAAOSwgY9Xcws h
-------------------------------------------
Compustar alarm/brain system, includes sensors,horn without blade card 70-80$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compustar-FT-7000AS-MAXIT-Remote-Start-Security-Kit-/252523210204?hash=item3acb8e65dc:g:9eoAAOSwgmJXyeb l
Then gps/remote start addon 70$ +119$ yearly service which isnt bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compustar-Drone-DR3400-Smartphone-Cell-Phone-Remote-Car-Starter-DR3400-IDATALINK-/272174087642?hash=item3f5ed6fdda:g:er4AAOSwmtJXUJJ t#rwid

So without the gps service its pretty cheap. Now my question is, am I able to install this by myself without having to an authorized seller? I have a s13 and they dont have any immoblizer system so im not sure if the actual alarm will work without it and I dont need to go to an installer. I know my harness like the back of my hand, dash is out since I wired in new gauges so now is the best time to do it.

As far as I know the dronemobile gps thing needs to be done at a installer but im 50/50 on it because I could wire it myself then go through there normal activation online myself.

R3b
09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Im still on the fence about this company and products but looks to be legit and pretty good things. I'll give them a call tomorrow but can anyone else chime in on any other alarms or gps systems?

Specifically one you can install/do yourself? Im pretty confident in wiring and I just hate having people work on my car without me... My hatch has power doors so im assuming system just needs power, random power/ignition/12v sources, then tap into the door lock relay/box to actuate the doors. Maybe something for the starter to do a remote start/turbo timer thing. Im just clueless on this whole immobilizer thing since these cars never had one so im not sure if you need a specific alarm system without immobilizer card or just any system will work.

brndck
09-08-2016, 11:15 PM
i currently have the viper gps tracking unit (purchased from BROADFIELD) and i love it. it was about $300 (+$75 a year for service) including the backup battery, and allows me to track my car in real time, and can be paired with a viper alarm or remote start. it was super easy to install myself (just needed a power and ground, and a good hiding spot)

the drone mobile unit you posted seems like a fairly reasonable price at $550 considering it includes remote start, a full alarm system including tilt/bump, and all those other listed features, AND the gps tracking. pricing for a comparable viper setup would be WELL over that price.

the only question i would have is the same one you had; can i install it myself? or do i have to pay some mouth breather at bestbuy (i checked on the dronemobile website and bestbuy is the closest retailer for their product) to hook up a power and ground, and hopefully not fuck up my car.

R3b
09-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I was talking to broadfield awhile ago about viper. It was 340 for the 1 way remote, senors, and then the viper gps system. I asked about how much for a normal install from a company and he said around 200ish. So basically the same price as the dronemobile kit.

I know I can install the gps viper unit and do it myself but rather not have to always wait couple seconds to lock my car. The real pricey thing is the alarm itself which a basic one way is 150-200 without install

Since I could buy everything separate for 3/4 of the price install myself it looks like a good deal. If I have to let someone at best buy install then I guess I will. Still be hell of a lot cheaper and just have to double check everything they did.

brndck
09-09-2016, 09:56 AM
keep us posted on whatever route you go. having gps tracking is HUGE peace of mind for me, especially here in socal where 2x a week someone posts up that their car got jacked.

spooled240
09-09-2016, 10:56 AM
^do you have a voltage drain on your car? My battery seems to have a low voltage drain and I'm thinking it may be the backup battery...

OP, I have the same alarm w/ gps and I can attest to how useful and reassuring it is to know where your car is at all times.

brndck
09-09-2016, 12:32 PM
^do you have a voltage drain on your car? My battery seems to have a low voltage drain and I'm thinking it may be the backup battery....
yes, but I use an odyssey battery and they aren't exactly great at holding a charge if you let em sit very long

spooled240
09-09-2016, 12:53 PM
yes, but I use an odyssey battery and they aren't exactly great at holding a charge if you let em sit very long

I have a cheap battery in mine and it seems like the battery would probably be stone dead if I let the car sit for 2 weeks...maybe sooner with cold weather.

I suppose an optima or other high end battery would be ideal with these alarm systems.

R3b
09-09-2016, 02:42 PM
^do you have a voltage drain on your car? My battery seems to have a low voltage drain and I'm thinking it may be the backup battery...

OP, I have the same alarm w/ gps and I can attest to how useful and reassuring it is to know where your car is at all times.

Care to share your experience with it? Did you install it or have a shop do it? I think I might the bullet and see even if I have to get it installed. I found a better package where I can get a lcd two way pretty cheap instead of the 1 way.

spooled240
09-09-2016, 02:55 PM
I had it installed at a local shop that does a lot of work with 240s. I was thinking about doing it myself but I just didnt feel like dealing with it. Plus my car had an old alarm that apparently needed to be redone. All said and done i think i was around 700 with installation. I probably could have had it done cheaper but Im really picky about who I take my car to.

R3b
09-09-2016, 03:46 PM
So im looking at 400ish with gps service for everything and maybe another 200 to install it... Thats not too bad I guess. Now I just need to find a proper place, the actual company only recommended a local best buy to do it.

I doubt they work on "older" cars since its in a very rich area side of miami but they probably would do decent work not fucking up everyone benz or bimmers.

spooled240
09-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't take it to best buy. Look around on yelp for reputable shops or ask around.

R3b
09-10-2016, 05:35 AM
Yeah I sent a few emails to other local plays instead of best buy.

Now ive been looking at viper.

Could get this two way which includes everything besides sensors/separate battery.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIPER-4706-CAR-REMOTE-START-KEYLESS-ENTRY-2-WAY-SYSTEM-NEW-Viper-4706V-/131145023624?hash=item1e88da4088:g:00gAAOxy4eJTKeK 8

and then there gps service
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIPER-VSM300-SMART-START-MODULE-CDMA-iPHONE-ANDROID-VSM-300-REPLACES-VSM200-/221812200244?hash=item33a5099334:g:SWAAAOSwYmZXIBh l

Which is around 300ish or I could get this package with compustar which has a way better two way remote and everything else I want for 330
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMPUSTAR-RF-2W901-SS-FT-7000AS-CONT-DR3400-SECURITY-REMOTE-START-PACKAGE-/282035274489?hash=item41aa9cc2f9:g:WWYAAOSwHJhXM96-

brndck
09-10-2016, 11:03 AM
/\/\/\ looks like they upgraded their GPS unit. I have the vm200 and the new one is vm300. Nice.

I still recommend buying through Broadfield. He's a Viper dealer and his support/customer service is excellent.

spooled240
09-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Yeah broadfield hooked me up