PDA

View Full Version : 4.36 vs. 4.6 rear. opinions?

ivantheterribl3
08-02-2016, 06:53 AM
ive decided to bump up the gear ratio on my s13 a bit. its a ~350hp sr20 with stock sr trans. stock 4.09 rear with kaaz 2 way currently. primarily a drift car. im sure many of you know how far apart the gears are in these transmissions and how much it can suck. what gears are people running and how do you all like them? thanks

Rustys14
08-02-2016, 08:29 AM
The difference between the 4.09 and 4.36 is pretty mild but its definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I'm running a 4.36 ratio in both of my cars at the moment. I mostly run at Summit and I've found that the 4.36 makes 3rd gear more usable with my stockish sr20. I drive my car on the street every now and then and I haven't noticed too much of a difference in cruising rpm either.

ivantheterribl3
08-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Summit main course or Shenandoah (bridge/pistol grip etc)? Can you do the top section of bridge course in third with stock sr?

derass
08-02-2016, 09:25 AM
im sure many of you know how far apart the gears are in these transmissions and how much it can suck

For sure! There's one corner at my home track where I am redlining 2nd and would like to upshift to 3rd, but everytime I do the ratio is too tall to get me back in the powerband. I have a 320whp SR and I'm hoping a 4.3 final will shorten up 3rd just enough. There are other corners on my track where I can see the benefit of the shorter final drive too.

Rustys14
08-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Summit main course or Shenandoah (bridge/pistol grip etc)? Can you do the top section of bridge course in third with stock sr?

I usually stay in second for the top of bridge and then flatfoot into 3rd mid manji coming down the hill for big bend since my second gear is too short to carry the speed needed for big bend. Even with the lower gearing I don't think my Sr would have the grunt to do the top of bridge in 3rd (although I've never tried). I'm still in 2nd for pretty much all of pistol too.

Summit Main is the place where the gears make the most difference for me. If I grip the first turn (optional turn for US drift) I can set myself up with a good enough line coming down the hill to clear the rest of the course. I hit 3rd coming out of the sweeper and stay in third for the rest of the track. It's too bad that they only open Main for 100 Drifters, it's a nice change from the other tracks at Summit.

If your looking to do the top of bridge in 3rd the 4.6 is probably the way to go. At your power level it would probably be doable. I think Rapper Dan runs 4.9 gears in his KA car and I believe he's in 3rd pretty much the whole way. At your power level that would probably be too short though.

ivantheterribl3
08-02-2016, 10:55 AM
sounds like you have pretty much the same approach at summit as myself with stock ratio. im just wondering if i have enough power for the 4.36 to be enough everywhere. dont wanna pull the trigger on the wrong thing you know. and 4.9 makes dans stock ka an animal but definitely way too much for me lol

jr_ss
08-02-2016, 11:22 AM
I think 4.6 is going to make 1st gear useless for you. Obviously you know top end is limited as the numerical value increases. I was going to swap a 4.6 into my car for the drag strip, but decided against it for the fact that 1st and 2nd are unusable as it is now.

ivantheterribl3
08-02-2016, 11:42 AM
What kind of speeds are you hitting at the strip? Been a while since I drove the car but iirc at like 110 I'm just shifting to 4th. For drifting I really don't need much more than that. And I've still got another gear. Stock Sr trans?

RurouniMidnight
08-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Ive ran both 4.6 and 4.3 with about 375hp SR. Id definitely go with the 4.36 it feels like the best all around balanced gearing with stock trans and forsure an advantage that can be felt over stock gearing. 4.6 just runs out to quickly.

Sleepy_Steve
08-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Ivan, did you ever ride in my car with the 4.3 and stock SR? It's just barely too short on my car in a couple spots at VIR full. But you're using more RPM towards the mid range on everything than me so I think it'll be good.

I think the 4.6 is too short for you given the power you make. It or a 4.9 works on rapper's shit car with a 50 shot on a stock KA, but you're making what, 60-80% more power?

Also I really thought your car already had that 4.3 hotness. Just don't be a tard and toss out the 4.08, 3.96, and other tall shit for when that other motor in your garage is finally done.

jr_ss
08-07-2016, 05:05 PM
What kind of speeds are you hitting at the strip? Been a while since I drove the car but iirc at like 110 I'm just shifting to 4th. For drifting I really don't need much more than that. And I've still got another gear. Stock Sr trans?

My best trap mph was 124. I have 485whp and a Z trans behind the VET. I'm also using the factory 4.08 with an S15 diff.