PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Valve Cover Extras? What can I remove?

MeltedMonitor
09-26-2004, 02:30 PM
I am cleaning up my engin compartment (wiring, hoses, etc) and I want to know the purpose of the two hoses in the photo.

The first goes from the valve cover to the intake hose, just upwind of the turbo. The second goes from the valve cover to what appears to be some kind of canister.

I assume that the hoses are to allow air into the top of the engine so that oil can move freely to the bottom without creating a low pressure vacuum effect.

Can someone explain the purpose of each hose and the effects of removing either? I would ideally love to plug the hole in the valve cover (or add a breather filter) and intake pipe, then ditch the hoses and canister.

statik
09-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I belive the black box attached to the valve cover is a crank case vent

SRBURG13
09-26-2004, 03:14 PM
the hose going to the intake can be remove and a breather filter put on the end of it by the valve cove. At least that my understanding.

mjjstang
09-26-2004, 03:32 PM
I thought the black box was the catch tank, but i could be wrong, but yah the hose going to intake like he said can be removed.

MeltedMonitor
09-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, there is a hose going from the bottom of that canister down somewhere... didn't trace it down, but it is probably the crank case breather. Hmm... I left everything alone for now, but I would like to dump all that crap. Anyone done this?

Darren

statik
09-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah, there is a hose going from the bottom of that canister down somewhere... didn't trace it down, but it is probably the crank case breather. Hmm... I left everything alone for now, but I would like to dump all that crap. Anyone done this?

Darren

id leave the catch can on there, does it really bother you =]

mrmephistopheles
09-26-2004, 05:40 PM
the outlet going to the intake is crankcase ventilation, the other outlet leads to the catch can. You can eliminate the catch can by bending the tube it dumps into upwards, and replacing the catch can with a longer length of hose.

ibanezxguy
09-26-2004, 09:05 PM
well this is my problem, not trying to steal your thread but, Yeah. I had to remove those to things your talking about. The catch tank and the one that runs to the intake. because i installed a new exhaust manifold. I put a breather on the intake side and ran a longer hose from the T to the crank case. My problem is, its blowing the oil into the breather and dripping onto the exhaust manifold. I have no clue why im getting so much blow by. But there is no way im running that tube back into the intake, it messed my turbo up because it got gummy. It was almost seezed up. Maybe try it and see what happens, it might just be my motor, It wont hurt motor, and will help keep the turbo from ending up like mine.

projectRDM
09-27-2004, 10:43 AM
If you've got that much blowby, you need to consider a ring job.

On the swaps that I do, I ditch the catch can and run a solid hose from the lower outlet to the valve cover, from the other end it goes to an aftermarket catch tank, mounted elsewhere like the core support or fenderwell, then back into the intake. All that basically does is move the catch can away from the motor and provide a better suction, but it cleans up the engine bay a lot. Just using a breather filter on a turbo car is not enough in most cases.

mjjstang
09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
so wait, when I removed my rubber intake tube. there was oil in it, and then when I was thinking about ditching that tube and putting a breather on it, i was like woh, then Im sure I will have a lot of oil piling up. therefore, not only is my transmission, and cams and turbo, bad, but so are my rings, thats just fucking great, wow im fucked, sorry to go a little stray from the thread, but u pretty much got the answers right?

90sr
09-27-2004, 02:43 PM
alls i did was remove that hose going to intake tube and put a breather on the valve cover port, sealed the intake hole, removed the catch can from the valve cover and then ran steal lines to a relocation catch can on passenger side fender well, looks alot cleaner and its an easy set up.

chris

silviasichigo
09-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Ok on the left side of that T-hose is where the cool air is sucked in. The left side you can get that breather filter. you can get rid of the catch can and run a longer hose down to the block. If you do use a longer hose just wrap it in some heat wrap and run it along the side of the block back to the block .

MeltedMonitor
09-28-2004, 12:36 AM
This helps -- I am going to see what I can do.

And yeah, the clutter in general bothers me so I want to do what I can to remove extra crap without hurting the performance of the engine.

Darren

projectRDM
09-28-2004, 08:48 AM
so wait, when I removed my rubber intake tube. there was oil in it, and then when I was thinking about ditching that tube and putting a breather on it, i was like woh, then Im sure I will have a lot of oil piling up. therefore, not only is my transmission, and cams and turbo, bad, but so are my rings, thats just fucking great, wow im fucked, sorry to go a little stray from the thread, but u pretty much got the answers right?

A little oil is common on an older engine, and if your turbo is bad it could have let some oil blow through from the shaft seals, so it's not a definite that you have a serious problem. The guy above mentioned actually seeing oil drip on to the manifold, that's more than a little blowby.

ibanezxguy
09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
cool since people are still reading this i was wondering if these 2 things will affect how much oil i got blowing by.
I was driving my car pretty hard, around town.
I had just done an oil change and the oil was just little above the full line. Maybe i was blowing out some excess oil?
Can i just put a cap on the intake side of the T or does it need to breathe?

statik
09-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Its gotta breathe, just go to peopboys and pick up one of these little breather filters

statik
09-28-2004, 10:18 AM
...If you do use a longer hose just wrap it in some heat wrap and run it along the side of the block back to the block .

What exactly do you mean along side of the block and back to the block, got any pics of your setup? im interested in seeing what everyone does to replace the catch tank