PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried making the KA tranny work on a SR?

r32_gtr
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
From browsing the forums and the net, many claimed the internals of a SR tranny and the DOHC KA tranny are actually identical and that the DOHC KA tranny will fit a SR if the SR's bell housing is swapped over. Is it true? Many continue to say it is too time consuming for such a procedure but no one has actually claimed that they had done it and . FYI, it only took me half an hour to crack open a KA tranny. So I don't think it's that difficult nor time consuming. Anyway, any information regarding this will be appreciated.

autobahNESSA
09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I think on Freshalloy someone has actually done the ka tranny swap with sr bell housing. I plan on doing this as I got a ka tranny to rebuild, and I''ll just swap the bell houseings. I think only difference is the 5 gear between the ka and sr.

r32_gtr
09-24-2004, 03:12 PM
I will post some pictures when I am done with the swap. Hoping to get to it after Hot import Daze next weekend.

silviadriftr
09-24-2004, 03:44 PM
well, i originally started with the sr20det trans but i am on my 5th trans at the moment(i run slicks at the track and too much whp for the trans.) all you have to do is take the front cover off the trans. and remove the larger clip ring. then take the 8 bolts that hold the bellhousing to the tail section out. then just crack loose the bellhousing and swap the ka housing for the sr20 bell housing, then put everything back together. i can do it in my sleep.

projectRDM
09-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Direct swap, only the 5th gear ratio is different. .759 vs .838.

r32_gtr
09-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the information... I will do it tonight! :2f2f:

silviadriftr
09-24-2004, 04:36 PM
another thing. when you open the case on the front you will notice three circles with rods in them. those are your shift rods. make sure when you take the housing off and put it back on that you do not move those rods. if you do make sure they are all the same height. if the rods move to much it could allow the shift fork in the other end of the trans to fall out of place and you won't be able to get it into gear.also behind that plate is a ring to the left of the clip that you take off. make sure that you put that ring back and that when you put the front cover back on that it presses flush all the way down. if you have to force it that means th ring is not in place and you will damage it. and make sure you buy a new throwout bearing even if the one you have has been recently replaced. they tend to do weird things when you change things.

TheSnail
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I done the sr bell to ka swap about 4 times. One ca18et to det tranny swap. My friend brakes about two ka tranny's per week. In a 11sec silvia (real one) the longest one lasted for 2 weeks. I gave him 4 ka trannys that were sitting at my house. And two weeks later he was on the 4rth one. He ended up changing the twin plate for a single plate. He had the problem of snapping the output shaft clean while launching a 6k sitting on slicks. So he has done the swap 5+ times. It about 20-25 min to swap it. First time may take you around 45min.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
09-24-2004, 06:33 PM
will a s15 6 speed trans work on a ka? there all the same right?

AKADriver
09-24-2004, 06:45 PM
No, the 6 speed won't. The case design is different, so the bellhousing won't swap.

silviadriftr
09-27-2004, 08:46 PM
I done the sr bell to ka swap about 4 times. One ca18et to det tranny swap. My friend brakes about two ka tranny's per week. In a 11sec silvia (real one) the longest one lasted for 2 weeks. I gave him 4 ka trannys that were sitting at my house. And two weeks later he was on the 4rth one. He ended up changing the twin plate for a single plate. He had the problem of snapping the output shaft clean while launching a 6k sitting on slicks. So he has done the swap 5+ times. It about 20-25 min to swap it. First time may take you around 45min.

i think you're tslking about me if this is voyah??????????????????????

that was me that posted right above you.

TheSnail
09-27-2004, 09:55 PM
lol, It's me. Is this Brian? Whats up man. I'll be up there nore tomarrow or the day after.
Talk to you later,

-Voya

Siizzzoooo
09-28-2004, 04:23 AM
i've done its, its pretty straight forward.

just dissassemble and reassemble