PDA

View Full Version : KA24E quick chain question

nightwalker
09-24-2004, 02:51 AM
Cold, engine makes a lot of noise (chain rattling) Hot, no more rattle. NONE zip zero zilch. Even when I rev it up. Anyone give me a definite answer as to what is wrong and best way to remedy it?

Haven't played with a sohc in awhile.

rawill240sx
09-24-2004, 08:31 AM
That's exactly how mine started out. It only rattled right at startup then stopped. Then it got to where it rattled only under acceleration from from low rpm to around 2800 then it would stop and at startup. Then the other day started rattling continuously. Now I'm in the process for dropping the oil pan to clean out all the little parts plastic guide. Mine went from a little bit on noise to where I'm at now in less than a month. This may or may not be what is happening to your engine.

knightrider
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
its prolly the tensioner, the tensioner works on oil presure, if you have rattle on startup, its most likely because the 1 way valve is not working correctly and not keeping the presure in the tensioner, i dunno y it would rattle only under cold conditions, but its prolly a bad tensioner. i get rattle for a second on startup, and it will rattle after reving alot when im at the track, but it ussually goes away as the day goes on,

nightwalker
09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
thanks guys. I'll be pulling this motor apart.