PDA

View Full Version : Rb25 engine noise

Fredward
06-08-2016, 06:11 PM
So I need some advice. The rb starting making a weird noise. Sounded like a gear humming. Happened when the revs were dropping around 3k. Couldn't pinpoint the source.
I installed tomei poncams a while back and they always sounded a bit Whiny. I thought I might have put the timing belt on too tight but never did anything About it.
It wasn't the ps pump (I had just finished my knuckle install and I had moved the rack so much fluid was coming out of the ps reservoir so I though I might have messed something up there)
So I took off the valve cover and everything looks normal. I take off the cas and find out it's broken. I get a replacement, no change. Sound is still there.
So I'm going w my belt is too tight theory now. Perhaps that was putting too much stress on the cam gear and thus the cas.
I just took the front of the motor off and find a few things. One the washer that goes between the harmonic balancer and crank gear has wear marks on it from the gear rubbing. I believe this is what's making the noise. But also my tensioner and idler pulley have blue on them which I would think means they are slipping but the belt was def to tight if anything
What do you guys think. And scotch I know what you think I just want to see what everyone has to say.
Also if anyone knows what i did wrong putting the pulleys and balancer on let me know please. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8exvv4xq7ndrwu/2016-06-08%2019.01.46.jpg?dl=0

Fredward
06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Can't figure out how to upload multiple images from my phone

Fredward
06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
So I'll just do this

dbeiler
06-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Why is your timing belt painted blue? Who painted it?

How tight did you set the belt tensioner? It shouldn't have more than one finger's pressure on the tensioner when tightening. Never use any tools or more than one finger to put pressure on the tensioner when tightening.

Don't know how the CAS broke. Has the engine ever been ran without the front timing cover installed? If the CAS is to be installed without the timing cover, appropriately sized spacers must be used between the CAS and CAS bracket.

Fredward
06-08-2016, 06:56 PM
The timing belt is a Kevlar belt From power enterprise. I set the timing belt with an Allen key. The tensioner pulley has a place to put an Allen key to tighten it. I used the oem spec of 1/2" twist deflection between the intake cam and tensioner, the longest part. Which I thought might be too tight since it's an aftermarket belt. And no I didn't run it without the cover for that reason. But if you look close the bolts from the cam were rubbing on one part of the cas. But that's not the issue I'm asking about because when I put on a dif cas the sound was still there