PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about ABS

SpdElemts
09-23-2004, 12:36 AM
What are your opinions about having ABS or not? I am very interested in this 93 s13 fastback, but it doesnt have abs and i dont know if i want a car with abs or not.

Thanks

slideyourride
09-23-2004, 01:43 AM
u can look in the fuse box and look for the ABS fuse or u can search the net...

Naro182
09-23-2004, 02:03 AM
both my 240s do not have abs. I dont really notice the difference...

Just take some time to get used to it and know you cant slam on the brakes, because they will lock up. So take your car out and find the point where it locks up(depends alot on your tires) and be comfortable with that...

I wouldnt let it stop you from buying a good 240 though...

autobahNESSA
09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I hated my abs in my 91, ripped the unit out.
Sometimes it would not lock the brakes well, and felt like it extended my braking. Abs is suppose to lock the brakes and do the pumping for you. I found with mine it was not the case. Probably because I have one of the early generations of ABS. New cars I would want ABS in beacuse their that much better.
Another reason why I ripped it out is the abs unit began to leak.

aznpoopy
09-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Sometimes it would not lock the brakes well, and felt like it extended my braking. Abs is suppose to lock the brakes and do the pumping for you.

uh... abs PREVENTS you from locking your brakes. pumping = keep brakes from locking.

evilimport
09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
you cant drift with ABS either....

MasterOFDrift
09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
^ what what and what?

check what you say before you post guys

cttt300zx
09-23-2004, 03:27 PM
if you are a good driver, and learn how to pump brakes you can actually stop faster than with abs. I hate abs. I take it out of all of my cars, whether it is new abs or not. It still lenghtens my braking distances. And you have much more controll without abs(again if you are a good driver)

aa87
09-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Yeah, i almost got into an accident because ive locked up the shitty tires, just learn not to slam it and you should be good.

AKADriver
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't care how good a driver you are, you can't pulse the brakes 20 times per second. Threshhold braking is effective, but ABS does allow the driver to brake just that last nth degree harder. Even professional drivers go faster around a road course with ABS once they get used to it.

The one situation where ABS won't improve braking is loose snow. In that situation you want the wheels to lock and "dig" into the snow.

AlligatorBling
09-23-2004, 03:58 PM

wtf

message length

Ritz S14
09-23-2004, 04:35 PM
if you are a good driver, and learn how to pump brakes you can actually stop faster than with abs.

ABS kicks in when it feels like your car is going to skid while the brake is depressed.

So you're saying when you pump your brakes you will stop faster than a car with ABS? Hell no. Find a car that has ABS, then have them slam on their brakes to a complete stop and measure the distance they took to stop. Now you go and try that.

Engineers programed the ABS software to work a certain way, if your "way" was faster, i'm sure they would program that into the software.

I had another car with ABS, saved my ass from rear ending someone.. I know I sure as hell wouldn't been able to pump the brake 20times a sec to stop before touching the dude's bumper.

AlligatorBling
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
^ indeed. the first month i had my car i was going down my road a lil to fast and met a ups truck backing out.... fassssst stop. dead stop. im not dead.

Marty
09-23-2004, 09:16 PM
i like having abs in my car

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
09-23-2004, 10:45 PM
what the heck i want abs on mine, does anybody want to sell me there abs system then if they dont want it.

kandyflip445
09-23-2004, 11:31 PM
The earlier ABS might actually not be as good as a skilled driver. The new ones are definately better than any driver. It's just like with everything else, it takes time to perfect things and there is still always room for improvement.

evilimport
09-24-2004, 03:53 AM
never mind, apparently I was smoking crack when I posted that... :duh:

autobahNESSA
09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
"aznpoopy Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea240
Sometimes it would not lock the brakes well, and felt like it extended my braking. Abs is suppose to lock the brakes and do the pumping for you.

uh... abs PREVENTS you from locking your brakes. pumping = keep brakes from locking "

ABS actually does lock the brakes for breif millisecond then it pulses the brakes to keep them on the virg of locking resulting in maximum braking. Problem with mine was that it did not do this well. the unit leaked, and did not function very well in emergency situations. I may have had an early gerneration, or it was messed up. ABS that I am used to is from late model cars which is far superior to what I had. I was uncomfortable with the way the brakes responded. And i saved probably 50lbs removing the heavy unit. S14 has good abs unit, if my brakes responded how the s14 did, I would have kept the abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttt300zx
if you are a good driver, and learn how to pump brakes you can actually stop faster than with abs.

You cannot stop faster then cars with abs unless they are very early versions, and you have r compound tires and it is a dry day. ABS is far superior to any human, it like stated before can pulsate the brakes 20times per second. ABS was banned from F1, cars were able to brake later, therefore going faster, much like traction control was banned. It may be allowed agian, I am not awware of it at this point.

Fact is ABS is more superior then any human, however something was wrong with my unit, and instead of spending lots of money to fix it, replace it, I got rid of it.

SpdElemts
09-25-2004, 02:31 AM
So should i look for another car with abs?

aznpoopy
09-25-2004, 10:48 AM
So should i look for another car with abs?

it really shouldn't be a make or break option. you know what ABS is, and you should know yourself well enough as a driver to make the decision.

evilimport
09-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Brake pads and tires stop the car but ABS helps none-the-less....kinda also depends on the climate in which you live too, if it rains a lot ABS might be a good idea to have, but if its a varrying climate you should be ok without....

decsion, ultimately, is up to your preferences alone...

S14DB
09-25-2004, 11:16 AM
I love ABS (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/)

evilimport
09-25-2004, 06:32 PM
^ Ha Ha... Me too!