PDA

View Full Version : SR20det hesitates till 5k then hits like a brick wall

Red Top 180
05-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Hey guys, I bought my car back in November and ever since i've got it, it's hesitated quite bad, turbo spools up and holds boost nicely like it should, but feels like a DE until about 5k then it comes on hard, also when you let off boost it hestitates and back fires for about 2 seconds before accelerating again. My turbo-mani gasket was shot, but this weekend i've just slapped an S15 T28bb turbo, aftermarket mani and dump pipe on, hoping that might fix up any issues, but no luck. Was thinking it could be needing a tune? exhaust is all pretty well sealed, but is leaking where the cat would normally be. What's everyones opinions on running a t28 on redtop with factory everything else? only running 7 psi.

jedi03
05-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Sounds like lack of fuel...do tuneup recently with fuel filter? Also what fuel pump are you running?

Red Top 180
05-09-2016, 02:54 AM
All factory, was planning on getting a walbro and some bigger injectors in the near future. Hesitation was the same, if not more so on the stock t25.

Frank_Jaeger
05-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Check your ignition timing. When I bought my engine it was severely retarded and had the problems you're mentioning. Whoever set timing did it off the loop (which was pinched) and not #1 spark plug.

Primo's Silvia
05-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Check your ecu for codes, it might be your knock sensor...

ZaK687
05-09-2016, 09:50 PM
close the gap a bit on your plugs, it helped when i got this issue on my KA-T

Tyler_240
05-10-2016, 04:14 AM
Check your ignition timing. When I bought my engine it was severely retarded and had the problems you're mentioning. Whoever set timing did it off the loop (which was pinched) and not #1 spark plug.

+1. When I picked up my unfinished swap, previous owner had set the timing off an entire link, or 2 teeth on the sprocket.

I had a good running SR years ago, so I knew right away something was not right.

This motor would run, but similar symptoms to what you described. I'd at least establish a known good and verify your timing.

http://www.frsport.com/How-To-Set-Crank-Angle-Sensor--CAS--Timing-on-the-SR20DET-Engine_t_25.html