PDA

View Full Version : ka24e valves

indy240
09-20-2004, 04:26 PM
I just finished building my motor (ka24e) due to a breaking of a timing chain, bought a bad one. The head was done at a racing shop, and they said that the valves were adjusted and everything was ready to go, but they seem kinda noisy. I remember them being noisy before but can't remember how this compares b/c it's been over a year since the car has been on the road. I searched and i found one thread that said the valves are hydraulic and need no adjusting. Is this correct, there is no adjustment. If there is adjustment, i was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust them and what the tolerances are. From looking at a couple other heads I have around here, it looks like the only way to adjust them would be with shims under the rockers and that seems pretty low tech for nissan. Thanks.

indy240
09-20-2004, 10:31 PM
K. Just so eveyone who might have an interest knows, i searched in a couple other sites and may have an answer for myself. The ka24e supposedly has hydrolic lifters, and they self adjust so there is no adjusting them. The ka24de is adjustable with shims (if you can find them), that go between the lifter and the valve, or between the lifter and the rocker arm (not really sure wasn't paying too much attention to the de stuff b/c it doesn't relate to me). In short the ka24e isn't adjustable, it just does what it wants to do and the ka24de is adjustable in the same was as an old jaguare or a new sport bike. If anyone has any more info. please post, still not sure what tolerances on either of the motors are for valves. I answered my question, and hopefully someone elses if they have one. In short, if the e is noisy in the valve area, deal with it, and if the de is noisy you can check your tolerances and adjust the valves if they are off.

bobafett
09-21-2004, 12:23 PM
hey thanks for the info. my valves are a little noisey at times, and i was gonna break down and adjust them soon. thanks for not letting me waste my time! good to know...

ps do you know of any manufacturer who sells ka24e valves and or springs and retainers?

indy240
09-22-2004, 10:58 PM
The motor shop that did my head was a racing shop and they put some new valves and springs, etc.. in my head, but not sure where they got them from. I know they probably didn't get them from nissan, b/c they do head work for the same dealer i buy parts from and i talked to guy in the parts dept. and he didn't say anything about selling that shop any valves any time recently. I've gotten to know them pretty well and they even give me parts at their price w/out the dealer mark up, like 1/2 off pretty damn cool. From what i understand valves are pretty generic and you just buy them for the size they are, depending on if you want to or can cut them. I know when i bought rings, i just ordered them for the bore size and i don't think they really had anything to do w/ nissan at all. FYI, i bought some ross racing rings and they were all wrong and were supposed to be for the car, the motor shop got me a set of, shit i can't remember the name, but if anyone wants to know i'll go look it up in my paper work. The rings the shop got me were 1/2 the price and actually made the other rings i bought from ross, ross just repackages them, puts their name on them, then doubles the price. If you want to know more about the valves/springs I will try to contact the shop and ask them where they got the valves and springs. Any other questions anyone has just ask, i've gotten to know a wealth of knowledge about these cars

bobafett
09-23-2004, 11:49 AM
yeah i would definetly be interested in what valves, springs and rings you used. ive got a motor coming in a few weeks that needs to be rebuilt, and im gonna need to start collecting parts for it! ;)

thanks for your help.
chris