PDA

View Full Version : Attempting KA24det Build

Bone
09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok I have done alot of searching but want it spelled out also just to make sure I have understood everything correctly. Heres the details

T3/T4 .42/.48 From what I have read from this size up I would start seeing some lag. I ultimately want to end up around the 300hp mark However, I just want to get it boosting to start with and make improvements as I go. I want to run a 21x9x3 FMIC and recirculate the BOV. My confusion comes in on the fuel side. From my understanding I am safe with stock injectors running a FMU up to 5/6lbs of boost. Is this correct if so do I need to upgrade the fuel pump or shouldnt the FMU compensate for the fuel pump? Next if I go with the Safc and step up to 370cc injectors will that handle the additional fuel needs when I start turning up the boost or will I need to step up to large injectors and fuel pump? There are so many threads on these subjects that reading through them gets alittle confusing since it is not all on the exact same subject. I want to get the car running around 4/5lbs of boost to start with but I want to be able to get the 300hp mark out of most the parts that I start with so I dont have to slowly replace the whole system. Idealy I would like to only upgrade the fuel system after the initial install. FYI by 300hp mark I would be happy with give or take 25hp.

Allright what have I missed on this fuel thing. It is really giving me a headache...... :-/

autobahNESSA
09-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Your going to need injectors and fuel pump to get in the 300hp mark. safc, or jwt also.

sr240mike
09-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Your stock fuel pump will will not push enough fuel so thats why you need an upgraded pump. A Walboro 255lph should be fine. You can pick up some used 370's for around $100 and tune them with the safc. For 300hp Id go with some 550's and a bigger maf though. For timing im not sure if you need to retard it with more boost, but a msd 6 btm boost retard ignition (http://www.prostreetonline.com/store/ignition/msd_ignition/) could probably help with tuning. I've seen several ka-t's using this. With the safc and btm ignition you will be able to tune timing and fuel so you may not need any standalone/expensive chip upgrade in the future.

Bone
09-16-2004, 12:00 PM
OK so I need to go ahead and swap the Fuel Pump no biggie. The 370 injectors are no biggie either then I can step up when I get ready to push it I can step up with large injectors.

I am also curious on the MAF sensor at what point should I start looking to upgrade it or is the stocker ok just not ideal? Sheesh my head.........

The ignition would not really be a biggie either so if I am understanding this correctly: Swap the Fuel pump, throw in some 370cc injectors, safc and I should be good to go until I start pushing for the 300hp mark then I need to only change injector size?

See I start getting real lost on when its time to step up on the MAF. At what point is it going to be benifitial to stick the bucks out for a cobra MAF or modify the stocker? and which would be the better choice for the 300hp mark? I still have some issues to work out I guess to redefine my question a little closer to what I truly need to know now would be can I get away with stock injectors and FMU to start with then step up to safc later and so forth. Or do I need to go ahead and step up to a fuel pump, safc, and injectors.

Sry guys I get started thinking things through and start off down another road that is not all that important yet. Give me the cheapo/safest to get it boosting to start with then I can replace and upgrade from there in short order. :o

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Modify stock maf = search for hacked maf by aceinhole.
Swap maf for cobra or 300zx when you overpower the 370cc injectors. When you bump injectors, bump mafs.
And you can get away with alot of things. So yes, you can "get away" with a FMU and stock fuel setup. For how long? Who cares.
-Jeff

95Blue240sx
09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Don't even waste your time with the stock injectors and fmu. That route is just a waste of time and the highest risk of saying goodbye to your motor. Just got strait to the safc injectors and fuel pump. I would also say go and get a z32 ASAP.

FYI - I thought the Cobra maf only works witht the JWT?

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 02:14 PM
FYI - I thought the Cobra maf only works witht the JWT?

FYI followed by a question is no long FYI. It is FMI, or my info. But you're right. Z32 maf is already programmed into the s-afc.
Original guy. Read the last line of the KA24DET faq sticky. Then later tomorrow, read the post I'll make in it when I have time.
-Jeff

Bone
09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Modify stock maf = search for hacked maf by aceinhole.

Allready have it printed and researched :D

So yes, you can "get away" with a FMU and stock fuel setup. For how long? Who cares.
-Jeff.
Very good point and to true!

Don't even waste your time with the stock injectors and fmu. That route is just a waste of time and the highest risk of saying goodbye to your motor. Just got strait to the safc injectors and fuel pump. I would also say go and get a z32 ASAP.

With this in mind I would probably be better off going with the 550 injectors to start with correct? Since the safc will let me accommodate rich conditions?
Now to research the whole MAF thing alittle more. Thx for all the in put! More questions in the future!

If there is anything anybody would like to add I would certainly except all the advice that is available.

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 02:26 PM
S-afc is a "piggyback" computer. Using it to calibrate new fuel maps is a) dumb, and b) dumb.
It is a) dumb, because the stock ecu uses 16bit system with dozens of points on dozens of throttle curves. The s-afc uses 12 points on 2 fuel curves, and extrapolates between them. It is also b) dumb, because you'll pay $300 for the s-afc, and then easily an hour of tuning, probably 2. At $125 the first hour and $100 the 2nd, you're looking at $425-525. For $575 or something, you can get a JWT ecu. This is a) reliable and b) better. It's a) because people plug them in and crank to 300+ hp. It's b) because it uses the 16bit ecu with multiple fuel curves. More than that, it adjusts timing, which keeps motors from popping.
Be smart here.
-Jeff

ghostchild316
09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
how about using E-manage and 550cc injectors instead of FMU/SAFC/JWT?

95Blue240sx
09-16-2004, 07:07 PM
ROFL Jeff i edited my post into a question since you posted before me, forgot to take off the FYI LOL

Good luck trying to find some who knows how to tune the emanage.

Well if you do go the route of the safc, get a wideband 02 and say goodbay to tuning on a dyno. They usually go from 200-600. The cheaper ones are said to be as accurate with less options.

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Emanage = safc. It's still a piggyback, and has nowhere near the capabilities of an ECU. Sure, it has more points to plot a good fuel map, but lacks the resolution of an ecu. Both (piggyback's) can work, and each is "better" for different reasons. You do the research to find out what's better for you. For 95% of people, a good ecu tuning is all you need. For another 3%, ECU + piggyback are good enough, and the last 2% are standalone users.
-Jeff

95Blue240sx
09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Jeff, when getting a JWT what is the process? Tell them your setup and they tune to that? Does it have to be the exact ECU in your car? or can it be a ECU, same year, from a different car?

Jeff240sx
09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Different car works. Same year though, and auto or manual. Generally you send your ecu to them. Or you can pay like $400 core charge and they'll program one of their ecus. Initial program lead time is 4-6 weeks last I heard (a few months ago). They have like 10 different program options.
-Jeff

DoriftoSlut
09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
This is Maeda posting under Kelso's name.

Wow I got here too late to comment too much.

JWT ecu is a good thing however, it tends to be a little overly safe. If you want 300rwhp and want to keep your gas mileage I'd recommend a piggyback(s afc2 or emanage) or JWT + Safc2. Z32/Cobra MAF is a must for 300 to the wheels. Please don't skimp on the fuel system. Get something bigger then 370cc injectors. 480cc from S15's are cheap(plug right in), as are 450cc from DSMs(requires a fuel rail to match).

If I were to do everything over again I would give myself this advice.
- Make your intercooling piping as SHORT as possible. Get an intercooler that is small big fmics are a waste of money. The last thing the KA needs is more lag caused by long pipes and a huge fmic.
- Get something smaller, like a T3 or even an S15 turbo and settle for lower power but more usage. Having a nice T3/T4 sized turbo means not really being able to use it mountain driving. 250-270 is very nice if there is no turbo lag.
- Upgrade the driveline first. Get an LSD. Your going to need traction to accompany that power. Get a clutch, your going to need to be able to change gears under power right?

Personally I run emanage which uses a 16 point system and it also adjusts timing as well(tuning the bugger is a little trickier then a safc though), on a turbo thats comparable to a T3/t4, and three inch pipes all the way back.

Have fun. If you have anymore questions just AIM me @ notsoqt...