PDA

View Full Version : s13, safc II tuning running lean at low rpm

kaneda3
09-15-2004, 09:27 PM
god speed tuned my car and all in all im very pleased

but i was told that because of a crapping out o2 censor ill have a poor idle

which it does when i pull up to a stop it sits close too 1300 rpm

this i can live with its the newt part that i need help with

about 30 seconds after i come to a stop (like when sitting at a light) my rpm will settle down too 600ish rpms some times itll fall all the way down and barely recover in time before stalling i start to get detectable knock(4-8 on the safc) and itll start to smoke white which tells me its running lean

how can i fix this myself???

i live 400 miles from godspeed and quit a ways away from any real tuners

thanx
mike

orion::S14
09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
...and itll start to smoke white which tells me its running lean...

Quite the opposite...running lean at idle will cause no smoke, and hardly any issue.

Runnig rich at idle will puff a gray-ish, white smoke, and smell heavily of gas.

Burning oil at idle also creates white smoke.

So you have some other issue...

Start by replacing the O2 sensor, see what (if anything) happens.

Also pressure test to see if you have any vacuum leaks...that's what it sounds like to me.

Good luck - Brian

sr240mike
09-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I second that its running rich. I just had an injector stick open and white smoke poured out of it. Change the o2 sensor, your wallet will thank you with the improved gas mileage.

kaneda3
09-15-2004, 11:08 PM
i was always under the impression that running rich was black smoke...(if i failed to mention above this is white smoke, not blue/ oil smoke which ive seen before) plus there is the issue of the knock

and your saying that a vacuum leak will cause white smoke? or are you saying that its the reason for the crappy idle

and finally replacement o2 sensor would be a good option(keep in mind that im running rather high boost but dont currently have the loot for a wideband)

240Driver39
09-16-2004, 06:22 AM
but at idle, you can get a puff of *whitish* smoke, and if u smell it, u can prob cleary tell its gas, if u cant, then there is one idea eliminated.

orion::S14
09-16-2004, 08:25 AM
1) ...plus there is the issue of the knock

2) and your saying that a vacuum leak will cause white smoke? or are you saying that its the reason for the crappy idle

1) A little knock at idle is not unheard of when the engine is shaking around trying to maintain a steady idle. It's not actual knock, but just engine vibrations as the thing tries to stay alive...

2) Yes and yes...vacuum leak cause you to run very rich at idle, and produces white smoke. It also makes the idle suck...sometimes causes stalling.

- Brian