PDA

View Full Version : ECU Identification, Please help

97NABISCO
03-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for checking this out.

Here's what I'm working with:

I have a 97 240sx 5spd. I L O V E my car, however the previous owner didn't give two sh!ts about it.

He had the windshield replaced and the seal around the windshield wasn't done properly and water got into the car and fried the original ECU (this happened during his ownership).

Now, I have two ecu's that the car can run on, but neither of them are the correct ECU's or will allow me to pass SMOG.

One ECU I have is A18-B92-G00.

From what I understand this is an OBD1 Manual ECU for a 95 S14.

However, upon looking it up I am seeing that it may be an OBD2 ecu (mixed responses so some clarity on this would be great).

I called Jim Wolf Technology and they told me that if the comp fits into the harness on my car, it's an OBD2 computer. He then guided me to this pagehttp://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/WIRING%2097+%20240SX%20TO%2096%20ECU%20WIRE%20MOD. PDF where I can change some pins on the wiring harness and change my 4 wire lower o2 sensor to an earlier 3 wire o2 sensor.

I would do this, but I can't get a confirmation as to whether this is and OBD1 or OBD2 ECU and don't want to go hacking up my harness only to be in a worse off position if it's an OBD1 ECU.

The second ECU I have is for an OBD2 AT S14, which is basically useless to me as it throws a Transmission code which prevents emissions systems to set which also prevents me from passing smog.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated... please only respond with facts and not speculation... I have already spent enough time trying to sort this out and would love to avoid any more dead end rabbit holes. :)

Thank you.