PDA

View Full Version : 650 bucks for rom installation and tuning?

wootwoot
09-13-2004, 06:33 PM
i was just wondering if this seemed like a remotely good idea for the price. it seems a little steep to me but all dyno tuning that is necessary and installation of the rom hardware are included.

sr240mike
09-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Sounds good for actual dyno tuning. JWT charges $600 for just chipping your ecu w/o dyno time. Who's doing the tuning?

kidinthehall
09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
depends on whos doing the tuning......

wootwoot
09-13-2004, 07:51 PM
xat racing in tampa. they do an assload of sr20 work but im not sure how much expierence they have with tuning them. i had absolutely no idea jwt cost that much for the chip, yikes!

chigga311
09-13-2004, 08:04 PM
y dont you save up 350 more and get a Power FC?
You'll still need the dyno time but its like 100 an hour
And you'll be able to do whatever you want

89s132b
09-13-2004, 09:55 PM
y dont you save up 350 more and get a Power FC?
You'll still need the dyno time but its like 100 an hour
And you'll be able to do whatever you want

Why? PowerFC is overkill for a lot of set-ups. ROM tunes are great unless you are really wanting to push the limits.

silviasichigo
09-14-2004, 05:23 AM
POWER FC is not that difficult. first if you get the proper one it has all the basic maps you need to make the car run. I have one in my 14 and one in my 13 they are very simple to tune. If you really want to get down and dirty (this is where things get harry) you can get the data-log it system from austrailia and do some serious tuning. The power FC is a really good ECU and worth the cash all the way. Now to the thread ALWAYS remember you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR (99.9%) of the time that is bad.

Jeff240sx
09-14-2004, 09:59 AM
xat racing in tampa. they do an assload of sr20 work but im not sure how much expierence they have with tuning them. i had absolutely no idea jwt cost that much for the chip, yikes!

I wouldn't take my car to XAT and let them fill up my gas. They're fucking idiots, assholes, out to make a buck, and just plain suck. Really. Their SR swaps are ass, their sr power levels are lame. I hate XAT. One of them told me that my car idled high because my intercooler was too small. It's 30x8x3.5 spearco. Morons.
Another time they told this dumb kid who kept asking me questions "Don't buy a $200 intake. The metal heats up more than the plastic tubing and cancels out any power gains. Just get a $40 generic HKS head filter. And there are no true cold air intakes on the market."
Ahh yes. That injen I had 3 years ago that sucked air like 6" off the ground wasn't cold(er than engine bay). And it's not the temperature that matters when you have a standard intake. It's the quantity and smoothness of the flow. I'm sure it was because they had a 10% margin on the Injen intake, and like a 40% margin on the generic filter.
Seriously. Fuck XAT.
-Jeff

Maxtype 240
09-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Damn Jeff, didn't hear those stories. Do have a new crew and new location...
Anyways, for the ROM tuning, I believe Martin is doing them w/ assistance from Scott? If that's not the case, then Martin doesn't have the experience to back a $650 price tag. My .02...

Jesse

orion::S14
09-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Scott [enthalpy] seems to have a pretty good reputation in the whole SR tuning thing...and if he's the guy assisting Martin, then why not cut out the middle man.

Are Scott's tunes $650 or less?

??? - Brian

Maxtype 240
09-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Scott [enthalpy] seems to have a pretty good reputation in the whole SR tuning thing...and if he's the guy assisting Martin, then why not cut out the middle man.

Are Scott's tunes $650 or less?

??? - Brian

Scott states he charges "1/3 less" than the AEM EMS in a post today on the Tampa forums. That means $500 plus dyno time at a shop of your choice.

Brian, I'm in St. Augustine (Exit 311/318 off I-95). I have my Maxima though. Don't know how long I'll be here supporting FEMA, National Guard disaster operations...

kazuo
09-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Enthalpy charges less than that just to reflash.. he does not tune it unless you pay more.

I'd take Jeff's advice as far as avoiding the shop goes, he seems to know from experience.

I'd talk to Enthalpy and see if you can get him to tune the car on the dyno himself. ;)

wootwoot
09-14-2004, 06:43 PM
eh, that sucks about XAT. i was hoping to be able to pull off a good rom tune but i guess it doesnt seem to be the route that will happen. microtech here i come( in 6 months)

orion::S14
09-15-2004, 12:46 PM
...I'm in St. Augustine (Exit 311/318 off I-95). I have my Maxima though.

If you have a free evening, let me know...we can catch up.

I'll let you drive a fast S14...hehe. j/k...

[email protected]

- Brian

HaLo
09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Scott charges less and has a better reputation? Why go with someone else?

Check what happened to my engine

91rusty240sx
09-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Halo, what kind of spark plugs did you have? were they hot or cold?

HaLo
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
NGK V-power with 6 heat range...

xatracing
10-23-2004, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't take my car to XAT and let them fill up my gas. They're fucking idiots, assholes, out to make a buck, and just plain suck. Really. Their SR swaps are ass, their sr power levels are lame. I hate XAT. One of them told me that my car idled high because my intercooler was too small. It's 30x8x3.5 spearco. Morons.
Another time they told this dumb kid who kept asking me questions "Don't buy a $200 intake. The metal heats up more than the plastic tubing and cancels out any power gains. Just get a $40 generic HKS head filter. And there are no true cold air intakes on the market."
Ahh yes. That injen I had 3 years ago that sucked air like 6" off the ground wasn't cold(er than engine bay). And it's not the temperature that matters when you have a standard intake. It's the quantity and smoothness of the flow. I'm sure it was because they had a 10% margin on the Injen intake, and like a 40% margin on the generic filter.
Seriously. Fuck XAT.
-Jeff

Jeff,

We have made alot of changes. We have a top notch crew and always take care of our customers. I am not sure when you were here but you bring up this event alot on different forums. If you havent come down in a while I will bet we can change your views. We lose alot of money taking care of problems that may arise, we are not just in it for the money. If you need dyno time for your KA-t let me know. I would just like the opportunity to change your view.

S14DB
10-23-2004, 12:44 PM
I went in there like a year ago when I was in Tampa for the day. The punk behind the counter made fun of my car cause it was stock. I proceded to laugh in his face on the outragous price on a swap with YOUR motor. If you do say that you have changed I'll stop by the nex time I'm in town. If shit's the same...well I won't be happy.

xatracing
10-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I went in there like a year ago when I was in Tampa for the day. The punk behind the counter made fun of my car cause it was stock. I proceded to laugh in his face on the outragous price on a swap with YOUR motor. If you do say that you have changed I'll stop by the nex time I'm in town. If shit's the same...well I won't be happy.

If I heard anyone make fun of someone's car they would be fired instantly. I am not sure who it was but I can guarantee they do not work here anymore. Having been a customer in the past I know what it feels like to go into a shop and get the cold shoulder from the staff. I personally run the front desk and always make time for my customers. Come on down and check us out. We moved to a larger location just down the street we were located on previously. My name is Adam . Casey and I are the owners and I guarantee we will change your view.

Thanks

RaidenKing
03-25-2006, 02:51 PM
had a bad experience with XAT, moved my post to a thread in reviews, sorry for gravedigging.

kandyflip445
03-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Did you even look at the date on this thread...

wootwoot
03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah but still its good to get it out in the open.. I will say I have heard he uses the same fuel curve as Enthalpy since they are in the same area, have worked together slightly, and that is his preferred dyno