PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal leaking

KingKong8247
09-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey well I just installed a stainless steel clutchline from the group buy and bypassed the box and all that jazz about 3 weeks ago

Well yesterday my clutch pedal started leaking brake fluid from where it goes into the firewall. I have to keep refilling the clutch fluid not too much but just enough. someone said it might be the slave cylinder or soemthing any ideas??

Skaterjunky8
09-12-2004, 03:14 PM
There is more pressure in the line now and your stock Clutch Master Cylinder cannot handle so it sprung a leak. Need a New Clutch Master. Fairly easy instal, but bleeding it can be tricky with a SS line.

proj240sx
09-12-2004, 03:27 PM
yeh you need to replace the master cylinder. if you bypassed that little crappy clutch box with the SS line, then bleeding should be a piece of cake. since that box isnt there to make nice air pockets. little trick for bleeding the MC is fill it up after bolting it in with the clutch line off of it, after it fills up and starts draining out, put on the clutch line, helps to get rid of air in the MC when you are installing new one. then bleed from slave cylinder and enjoy.

idlafie
09-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey well I just installed a stainless steel clutchline from the group buy and bypassed the box and all that jazz about 3 weeks ago

Well yesterday my clutch pedal started leaking brake fluid from where it goes into the firewall. I have to keep refilling the clutch fluid not too much but just enough. someone said it might be the slave cylinder or soemthing any ideas??

If your car is leaking clutch fluid onto the firewall, then chances are it's not your slave cylinder that's gone bad. The slave cylinder is located on & mounted to your transmission bell housing -- that is unless you see fluid leaking underneath your car by the passengerside door.
Now if your fluid is leaking underneath your car by the driverside door, then
what possibly may be going bad is your clutch master cylinder. The clutch master cylinder is located directly on the firewall of your car to the left of your brake booster/brake master cylinder - right next to your steering column. If the seals inside the clutch master cylinder go bad, then you'll start to leak clutch fluid on your firewall & possibly into the inside of your car....directly below the clutch pushrod underneath your clutch pedal. Have you checked for any leaking fluid inside your car?
If you do find clutch fluid inside your car, then it's definitely your clutch master cylinder. Replacing it is pretty easy & straightforward provided you are mechanically inclined & have all the proper tools. You will have to benchbleed your new master clutch cylinder prior to installation but that also is an easy & straightforward process...You can probably do it on the car once you've installed the new one, but bleeding it on the bench is a little easier. Replacing the clutch master cylinder shouldn't take more that 2-3 hours tops if that. Bout the only major problem you migh have is having a hard time loosening up the flarenuts....you might round out the flarenuts if they are stuck. A pair of visegrips will give you a better grip than a flarenut wrench.
Anyhow, hope this helps....Good luck!!
ID
'95 SE

KingKong8247
09-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Thats what i meant to say, clutch master cylinder, I just relized I wrote the wrong thing

But yeah it is leaking into the inside of my car on my driveway you can see my footmarks from the fluid leaking on my shoes.

Ok well then it does look pretty easy to replace Im sure Ill run into a huge probelm like every time i do something on my car

What is bench bleeding though? Ill start researching it some more now. Thanks

Also any kind of upgrades for this or just stick with stock?

Luke
09-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Bleeding the clutch is simple, but you should need 2 people.

-Slowly pump the pedal 3-4 times and hold it down.
-Someone else should open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder and let the air out of the line (you will have to do the same with the clutch damper if you haven't bypassed that, that takes some time)
-The pedal will prob. be stuck to the floor, just pull it back up slowly with your hand.
-Repeat until all air is out or the fluid comes out clear.

mjjstang
09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
but bleeding it can be tricky with a SS line.

LAF

but you should need 2 people

or go to the store and buy some air line for a fish tank and bleed it yourself in 2 minutes. works great,

KingKong8247
09-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I know how to bleed the clutch but this is what I am confused about

You will have to benchbleed your new master clutch cylinder prior to installation but that also is an easy & straightforward process

How do I benchbleed the new master cylinder prior to installation