PDA

View Full Version : Need Rust Advice

240si
01-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Im very close to buying this 91 hatch Sr Black top swapped, but the issue is this rocker panel rust.. In PA it needs to be inspected within 10 days of registration and I'm not sure how serious this will be to fix any thoughts are appreciated thanks

iJDM
01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
A lot of these cars have that same rust problem.

Personally, I think it would be a pain in the butt to fix, properly. Keyword properly...

You may want to try to source some aftermarket side skirts and slap those on. Or at least see if that will be enough to cover your inspection

240si
01-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Would this be a structural issue being unibody?

timandytimandy
01-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Thats not bad at all. If you don't want to get it fixed correctly (welded) you could just bondo it for inspection or just wait to register the car. If you plan on running side skirts it won't matter how pretty any repair it and I'd be more concerned with how the frame rails look.

zenkicpe
01-22-2016, 12:25 PM
In PA you have 10 days to inspect the car and drive it legally. You can wait longer than 10 days but you will risk getting pulled over on the way to the inpsection station. Its not like the cops are going to come take your car if you dont have it inspected in 10 days.

As for the rust, Cut that shit out with a cut off wheel or sawzall or plasma cutter depending on how baller you are. Make sure its all nice and clean, wipe down with wax and grease remover. Then you could either have it welded, or bondoed and that will get you past inspection. I wouldnt let a rust spot like that stop me from scooping it up. Good luck.

OBEEWON
01-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Sell it.

char

KAT-PWR
01-22-2016, 12:36 PM
In PA you have 10 days to inspect the car and drive it legally. You can wait longer than 10 days but you will risk getting pulled over on the way to the inpsection station. Its not like the cops are going to come take your car if you dont have it inspected in 10 days.

As for the rust, Cut that shit out with a cut off wheel or sawzall or plasma cutter depending on how baller you are. Make sure its all nice and clean, wipe down with wax and grease remover. Then you could either have it welded, or bondoed and that will get you past inspection. I wouldnt let a rust spot like that stop me from scooping it up. Good luck.

You can not bondo that. Patching is a must

zenkicpe
01-22-2016, 12:39 PM

If we are talking regular meduim weight body filler then I agree.

Have you ever used long strand bondo? I have, it may not be pretty but it will cover that hole with some metal mesh backing it up. Pass inspection and then do it right while fixing all the other little things that need to be done.

240si
01-22-2016, 12:51 PM

So that 10 days is basically a grace period to drive the car and get it fixed? I can still register it now and fix it in the spring and inspect it?

240si
01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Seems to be clean for PA besides that one spot

zenkicpe
01-22-2016, 01:11 PM
So that 10 days is basically a grace period to drive the car and get it fixed? I can still register it now and fix it in the spring and inspect it?

Correct, you can drive it/have it parked on road legally uninspected for 10 days. If its in your garage or off the street you can have it inspected anytime.

For example I bought my zenki in early march 2015, didnt have it back on the road until the end of august 2015. Got it inspected in the beginning of October 2015.

yacubkep
01-22-2016, 01:40 PM
That is a easy repair compared to what i found under some side skirts on my 240.

Someone with a nice welder could fix it in a couple hours.

EnnEssEnnKAT
01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't know if it's the same there, but in NH you get that same 10 days. If you go for inspection, and fail, they give you a partial inspection sticker that covers you for the time being and you have 60 days to return and pass the inspection. If PA has that, then you have 70 days total. good luck.

vincent_gibson
01-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Pull the rust off, sand blast, spray it with etching primer (a few good coats) then if you can cut a peace of body seat metal out and spot weld a patch grind smooth them paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAT-PWR
01-22-2016, 07:27 PM
If we are talking regular meduim weight body filler then I agree.

Have you ever used long strand bondo? I have, it may not be pretty but it will cover that hole with some metal mesh backing it up. Pass inspection and then do it right while fixing all the other little things that need to be done.

That is an entirely different fiberglass product all together.

zurud
01-23-2016, 01:23 PM
I don't think body rust issue affect inspection. Inspection mostly deal with safety and emission.

Cortius017
01-24-2016, 01:30 AM

+1 for patching instead of just filling it with bondo. If you plan on getting skirts to cover that up i say at least stop the rust one way or another. or just do what the truck guys do and fill it with expanding foam

timandytimandy
01-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Yes, a hole like that will fail a safety inspection. You guys really are making a big deal about this bondo vs patch thing. Anyone with half a brain knows you don't stuff a hole with bondo. Also expanding foam is a horrible idea, it holds water.

Don't ask questions, just go watch some videos and read some threads to find the best solution for you.

zenkicpe
01-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Guys the bondo suggestion was only to get him past inspection if he needed to within 10 days, correct way to fix, cut/clean/treat/weld. There is a time and place for quick fixes to get you by.

collegekid
01-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Why are you making a big deal out of this?

Before you buy a swapped car, know that you will need to download the FSM and do a lot of research into maintaining a Sr swapped car.

That rust is a joke. If that is the only spot on the car then you are lucky. I doubt it. Jack the car up and look everywhere, in every nook and cranny.

That shouldnt cost you more than $600 from a decent shop.