PDA

View Full Version : using a S13 with S14 cover, bushing holes...does JDM make a difference too?

alkemyst
09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Haven't seen a JDM up close but it appears they have a larger rear cover at the bottom (the finned area)....are JDM and USDM totally interchangable?

Also everyone says the VLSD's are compatible S13->S14->S13, but what about the smaller front holes in the S13 vs the bushing filled S14 holes? Does this just make for a more 'solid' mount? Wouldn't a S13 control wheel hop better than?

Thanks
Å

orion::S14
09-10-2004, 11:21 AM
All the cover's I've dealt with have been interchangeable.

JDM 180SX 4.36 diff / J30 / S13 / S14 covers...all bolt onto any of the diffs.

And the bushing in front leaves very little room for movement...it's not a big concern with respect to wheel hop.

- Brian

noahrexion
09-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes, what he said. THey are ALL interchangeable cause its all the same pumpkin really...

If you are putting an S13 one in, then YES you will use the the solid/less thick S13 mounts. Once all bolted in, the diff will be about 3/16" higher up than before due to the S13 solid mounts being only about 1" where the S14 is about 1.5" thick. It aint no thang...

alkemyst
09-10-2004, 07:44 PM
What's the best S14 cover then for functionality? I don't know where to find them other than the $300 Greddy....unless that's all that's out there.

projectRDM
09-11-2004, 12:50 PM
If you're paying $300 for the Greddy, can I sell you some cheese for $150? Retail is only $255. And no one pays retail unless they're an idiot.

There isn't another cover made aftermarket, but the 92-94 J30 cover is finned, as is some of the Z32 NAs. You can buy those cheap at a boneyard, or call the dealer on one.

alkemyst
09-11-2004, 12:58 PM
If you're paying $300 for the Greddy, can I sell you some cheese for $150? Retail is only $255. And no one pays retail unless they're an idiot.

Whoa Trigger! Someone piss in your wheaties this morning or sumthing?

Never said I was paying that....but as far as retail goes I have averaged about 50% off it across the board. Greddy was the only one I could find in my quick search and I didn't see any less than $300.

If you can *help* with a source then post it. The VLSD's are all finned I believe.

projectRDM
09-11-2004, 01:04 PM
I meant that for a general consensus, not aimed directly at you. Plus I like to see people get bent out of shape because they pay retail and don't know any better.

Not all OE LSDs come with finned covers, the S14s do not, and the 95-97 J30s don't either, and the Z32 is a hit or miss, some do, some don't, I haven't figured the designation yet.

Anyone that sells Greddy products that is a reliable source, Enjuku, Phase2, etc, will be willing to deal with you. I've seen them on Ebay for as low as $230, but with the typical shipping hit of $25. Shop around and you'll find it cheaper easily.

alkemyst
09-11-2004, 01:26 PM
ahh sorry about that...didn't know that was a general comment...but it's true those that do pay retail seem to go nuts when they try to defend 'why'.

The S14 VLSD diffs I have looked at have had small fins on the bottom...maybe that is not truly a finned cover (the Greddy's I have seen have very prominent fins). My S14 Open diff has no fins. These were JDM diffs if that matters.

I think I am going to move this cover to the backburner. Even at $150 it wouldn't be worth it until I get all the other things $150 could buy done.

I think I am just going to go OEM VLSD, finish my suspension (have: Nismo power brace, Kazama Adj. outer tie rods, SPL tension rods, buying: RS*R Race springs and AGX (maybe koni's), some sways, strut towers, and maybe a rear floor cross bar since the rear seat is useless anyway, and either nismo or better upper mounts (mostly just to assemble the struts so I can just bolt them on)), install all the interior/exterior clips and plastic pieces that needed replacement ($300+ order from Nissan-auto-parts-dealer.com), 98 Cobra R wheels and some decent tires (actually my favorites if only they were lighter), do the B&M shifter and leather shift/e brake boots, and finally my stereo stuff from my last car....enjoy that for a while....

Then plan my turbo, exhaust and that whole journey. I am learning a lot about driving my car now and having less power is sort of better when you push it beyond it's limits. Driving around here in post-Hurricane Frances has gotten me hanging my ass out quite a bit to idiots jumping 4-way stops on my left turns through intersections...it's pretty funny though seeing their faces as I just pivot around their frontends and scream down their side of the car :) Plus once I know exactly what I can do with my car, then I can see how much more I need. I know already I don't want a 500HP 240SX as my daily driver, not even a 400HP one.