PDA

View Full Version : Installed Phase 2 Side Feed Fuel Rail and now the car doesnt run...

dorkidori_s13
12-02-2015, 02:20 AM
I ordered and installed a brand new side feed fuel rail from Phase2Motortrend (same as Circuit Sports) for my S13 redtop/blacktop. Got the rail installed and now the car does not run

Initially when I installed it, I think I had the lines backwards... car would not keep fuel pressure when turned on. Then the fuel pump stopped priming altogether. I swapped the fuel lines around after looking at other peoples setups (I also disconnected the battery and swap the fuel pump fuse for a new one). After swapping lines around, hooking battery back up, installing new fuse the car finally started and ran like normalj test drive it for about 10 minutes, no issues at all! On the drive home (about 5 minutes from where i work), the car started to hesitate and just flat out die. I got it to start again once, drove it for about 2 minutes and the car died again. I pulled the fuse and put it back in, fuel pump refuses to prime and work (0 fuel pressure on my gauge).

HELP! Im out of ideas. I towed it back to work, popped the hood and checked all of the fuses along with all of the plus relating to the injector plugs, chassis harness etc etc... everything was exactly as it should be!

Car was working 100% FINE before the fuel rail install (and i mean ZERO problems). I didnt disconnect anything, I didnt break anything (been working on SRs and 240s for 14 years). Im kind of lost for ideas. Im planning on pulling the pump tomorrow to check for any damage to the electronics or the sending unit itself. Ive got an extra Aeromotive pump laying around (I currently have a Walbro that I dropped in 3-4 months ago after my old took a shit after 5 years).

sincity_sil80
12-02-2015, 03:38 AM
I was gonna say, swap the fuel pump.

Tempo
12-02-2015, 04:46 AM
Probably your fuel pump, If not that then I can't think of anything else that would cause the issue seeing that you were thorough and careful with the install of the fuel rail.

brndck
12-02-2015, 08:11 AM
get a voltmeter, check for voltage at the fuel pump when cycling the key.
if you do have voltage, then most likely it is a dead pump
if you do not, time to start tracing wires and checking fuses and relays.

thegr8one013
12-02-2015, 08:12 AM
When it doesn't start again disconnect the fuel feed line and put the key in the on position. If fuel is not coming out then have someone check for power and ground at the pump wiring when u turn the key off then on. (You only get 3-5 seconds to check because the fuel pump only primes the fuel system when the engine isn't on).

If u have power going to the pump but no fuel coming out the line u need a pump.

If u have no power to the pump then check ur fuel pump fuse and relay.

If u end up just changing the relay without actually checking to see if the relay is bad, make sure ur getting power, ground, signal at the relay harness side

Croustibat
12-02-2015, 08:49 AM
I'd say dead pump, too. If you come to the same conclusion (either by swapping it or searching for broken wires), check the fuel filter too, it may need changing. A clogged fuel filter makes the pump work harder, which could cause its death on the long run.

dorkidori_s13
12-02-2015, 04:10 PM
i think ive determined its a wiring problem... GREEEAT!

if i jump the relay like below, the pump kicks on and the car runs fine...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/motegineon/photo1_zps365b12e2.jpg

i put a brand spankin new relay in the slot and the pump does not turn nor prime. so at least ive ruled out the fuel pump being the issue.

brndck
12-02-2015, 04:43 PM
/\/\/\/\/\ in this case, you need to check the ecu. if that relay (the one in your photo) is the "ECCS" relay, it is supposed to get triggered/commanded by the ecu.

I have found that #62 and #63 ecus like to burn out that circuit that commands/triggers the ECCS relay. My relay is now hooked up to a hidden switch.

dorkidori_s13
12-02-2015, 04:51 PM
mine is an E5 (not J7) blacktop ECU.

so will leaving it jumped like i have it really cause any major issues? i dont plan on leaving it permanently like this, just until i can track down the issue... i still need to be able to drive the car on a daily basis.

ive never run into this problem before and it seems like finding concise and accurate information on the subject is a bit on the lean side (no pun intended)

thegr8one013
12-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Looking at that picture on the bottom right pin that isn't being used, verify you are getting power.

Then the top left pin with the key in on position see if u temporarily get the ground signal that the ecu is supposed to be sending.

One of those 2 is ur issue. I might have it backwards because I don't have a relay in my hand so if both aren't doing what they are supposed to try it the opposite way.