PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET motors

Jeff240sx
09-02-2001, 02:23 PM
I can get a s15 motor.  The only one I'd think about getting.  *yay*
But.  I can go to unstable-hybrids and get a complete one, with uncut harness and ignitor chip for $5000... *ouch*
Or I can get a different one, s15, same warranty *shit* (cough, cough)  The it starts and runs at least once warranty.
Anyway, same motor, s15, for $3250.  But it has a cut harness and no ignitor chip.  The people said I can get those from Nissan.  The Nissan of Japan or Nissan North America?  I don't know.
But my question is??
Which is a better deal??
Thanks guys...
-Jeff

ca18guy
01-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Sorry for being alittle late replying I was out looking up some info on this question! My research shows that going with unstable-hybrids deal would be a much safer endevour and the other motor could possibly be a hunk a poo!

gschroeder78
01-01-2003, 04:51 AM
I think I agree. Better to spend the extra money and buy from a reputable shop than take a chance on the cheaper stuff. I believe you get what you pay for 80% of the time. Besides if Unstable gave you a POS, you'd have a better chance at getting it straightened out. Depending on who the other source is, you may be lucky to ever get hold of them again. Just my opinion though. I've been screwed a few times by not following my own advice.

Garrett

DarkRaptor42
01-01-2003, 10:58 AM
guess the KAT quest is over then eh man? thats cool though, totaly understandable. If I were in your shoes I would probably go with unstable, but 5000 is alot to drop on an engine. Almost seems worth it to take a trip to Japan and see what you can find for that much. Just a thought but I dont know how reasonable that is. But ya unstable seems like the best bet for a engine with a tag that high.

SRSiL80
01-01-2003, 02:52 PM
yea but as with S13 engines theyre around 10 years old which means thats been 10 years of the chance of someone giving it hell etc; odds are with the S15 engine you'll have less miles also and you get 250hp on stock boost and the lil variable valve timing junk.

Hey jeff this place isn't open yet but alot of people are giving them good previews i guess you could say and they seem pretty legit but try:

Afterdark Tuning (http://www.afterdark-tuning.com/index.html)

They supposedly get everything you need with the engine you buy so its just plug and play; they do the wiring harness for you, get the IC and piping and all that stuff.

Hope that helps a little bit

drift freaq
01-01-2003, 03:46 PM
well I am going to speak up here.
Basically Jeff, you need to go do some more research on SR's. People are putting S15 engines in their cars basically to sell the concept or the car.
I know of installers here that are putting in S15 SR's, because they sit around for longer and do not sell as quickly . They want to sell the engines faster and sell more of them .

The blacktop SR out of a late model 180sx is the engine all the tuners in Japan use, no vvti to disable , better port design in the head for high performance.
if you want the stock HP and no more than a S15 engine puts out its cool. you are looking at more wiring work to drop it in though.
On top of that,if you are going for more HP you will! want to disable the vvti
At that point the ideal SR for performance tuning is the Blacktop 96.5 up 180sx engine. I have seen these engines with mileage as low as 12 thousand miles in a clip . you can usually get a setup like that for anywhere from $2700 -3500 complete.
Basically you are looking at more wiring work to put the S15 SR in. If you are looking at keeping it more in a stock performance range , you will pay a lot more money for a setup that can be easily duplicated HP wise with a 180sx engine for a lot less cash input overall.
I.E. your paying for the whole S15 SR namesake.
Blacktop SR's can be bumped to above the 250hp rating by just putting on a 3 inch downpipe and a T28 out off a S14 or S15 SR.
Its what I am doing with my car. I will be putting in a Blacktop SR with a S15 ceramic coated ball bearing Turbo, 3 inch downpipe , Blitz SBC ID boost controller and a larger intercooler.
plus a lightened flywheel.;) :D

People have to realize. if your engine is compressioned checked before you buy it, you can get a good idea about what kind of shape it is in.
If it is turning out anywhere from 165 PSI on all cylinders to 185 PSI on all cylinders, you are looking at a very low mileage engine, that is in very good condition. It does not matter if it is ten years old or 2 years old it will still run fine based on that info.
plus most reputable engine sellers will give a start gurantee and if you keep it in stock form some kind of limited warranty i.e. 90 day to 6 month.

Dave ,

ca18guy
01-01-2003, 03:57 PM
OK I'm starting to feel bad since people are giving serious well thought out responces. Look at the date this topic was made :o :D

drift freaq
01-01-2003, 04:11 PM
damn C18guy you blindsided us:eek:
hahahhahhaha ya I did not even look at the post date I am still waking up from last night.

ca18guy
01-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by drift freaq
damn C18guy you blindsided us:eek:
hahahhahhaha ya I did not even look at the post date I am still waking up from last night.

If it makes you feel better I'll probably be linking to this thread now whenever someone says they want a S15 motor :) That was a perfect write up against buying one of those things.

RacerBoi
01-01-2003, 07:12 PM
You should sell your turbo kit to me:p

edit: i just saw the date of the first post:eek: