PDA

View Full Version : Botched 350z Overfender..

Thowaway123
11-23-2015, 06:09 PM
I accidentally cut my fender wrong today while in the middle of an overfender install. I wasn't paying attention and I cut off both layers of the fender instead of just the top layer, and making slits in the bottom layer, folding it over, etc. Not a big deal, the only real issue is that there is a gap between the layers of fender now where dirt and moisture can collect. What should I use to fill up that gap? Or is it a better idea to weld on a new piece of metal and then make the slits, fold them over, etc..?

TougeSR20Kid
11-23-2015, 06:12 PM
I accidentally cut my fender wrong today while in the middle of an overfender install. I wasn't paying attention and I cut off both layers of the fender instead of just the top layer, and making slits in the bottom layer, folding it over, etc. Not a big deal, the only real issue is that there is a gap between the layers of fender now where dirt and moisture can collect. What should I use to fill up that gap? Or is it a better idea to weld on a new piece of metal and then make the slits, fold them over, etc..?

You pretty much answered your own question with the better to part, but if all else fails or if its just too much of a pain in the ass you can just use expanding foam to fill the gap

Thowaway123
11-23-2015, 06:18 PM
You pretty much answered your own question with the better to part, but if all else fails or if its just too much of a pain in the ass you can just use expanding foam to fill the gap

What would be the best option for expanding foam? I've only used great stuff and i'm pretty sure it's flammable

Matej
11-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Stuff some old socks in there.

Bnr32gtr
11-23-2015, 06:54 PM
I've cut fenders on many of cars never have used foam, not shore what u boys doing.cut, beat,weld,grind,seam seal, prime/paint/under coat. If u cut the iner short just weld a piece in. U might be able to geting away with beating it in then weld.

jr_ss
11-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Weld a new strip of metal in. Use a piece of cardboard to make a template, then trace on to a piece of similar thickness sheet metal. Cut it out and install. Make sure you use weld through primer and seal the area real well.

hirtegg
11-24-2015, 05:46 AM
well,Make sure you use weld through primer and seal the area real well.http://goo.gl/0q2uAN

TougeSR20Kid
11-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Stuff some old socks in there.

+1, however I would think he'd have the same flammability problem. Maybe wet the socks first?