PDA

View Full Version : how should i go about my swap???

datkwikracer
09-05-2004, 04:24 AM
First of all i threw a rod in my 92 KA with 154 k on it. so i bought a complete used KA motorset with tranny with 80k on it from a 92 also. Now im going to remove my old tranny also and just swap in everything together.

Now my questions:

i dont know if synthetic was used in the engine before so should i go with conventional just to be safe? if so which kind (for so cal weather)?

and what about the tranny fluid which is good?

What are the best hook points for the engine? i hear the intake manifold is good for one side, is this correct?

also what kind of prep work should i do to the engine while it is out?

and as far as swapping goes its just basically drain all fluids, disconnect all wiring, disconnect hoses, fuel lines (depressurize feul system), remove tranny crossmember, unbolt from driveshaft, remove hood, attatch lift hooks to intake mani and (whats another good place?, lift at 3 points or is 2 fine?) pull out old engine then replace and do everything in reverse order? right?(im prolly forgetting somethings since it is 330 am, but for the most part right)

anyone who has done this have any tips or anything to watch out for? i know it's simple just time consuming but i want my first swap alone to go as smoothly as possible.

mjjstang
09-05-2004, 09:45 AM
well they make hooks from the factory that your supposed to buy but I just used intake and exhaust, go very slowly when ur raising it, you dont want to accidently pinch something like a soft fuel rail line. Is this an auto/manual if manual, do u know how many miles are on the clutch. might want to replace, otherwise pretty straightforward, take pics of things you might not remember how they go like vacuum lines, Wirings pretty easy as most all connectors are different so u cant really go wrong.

aznpoopy
09-05-2004, 10:14 AM
engine oil i use mobil1 10w-30 for daily driving

tranny oil i and alot of others use redline mt fluid - good stuff

while the engine is out, do anything that is more of a pain when the engine is in the car... i would definitely reseal the engine as the seals themselves are very cheap, and anything that old is leak prone... the rear tranny seal is a good idea too.

PSI240SX
09-05-2004, 05:48 PM
don't forget about your heater hoses. and your egr tube as well. As for hooking the motor, I just use one of the many threaded holes in the sides of the head and block. usually the upper chain I hook to the head near the distributor, and the lower one I hook to a hole down by the starter. Just use and long 14mm bolt you have lying around, put it through the chain and screw it in to an open hole.