PDA

View Full Version : Car sputters heavily on only hard right corners... ???

Chrisw
11-06-2015, 12:08 PM
So first off, my name is Chris and I drive an S14 w an S15SR. I road race the car and it is no longer street legal (which sucks for diagnosing problems since I have to do it during track time).

Here are a few pics of the car to keep your attention:
http://s30.postimg.org/5pmpf6fxt/Track.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/ekdal9n5f/Racing.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/v07yzrs6r/Interior.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/43nzrg9df/Loading.jpg

****ISSUE****

The car runs great, except for one odd issue. When I take hard right turns, the car starts to sputter out (almost like stalling) until I straighten out. Once I straighten out... it gets back on it like it never happened. I initially thought fuel starve... Nope. It will do it with a FULL tank.

I then thought that maybe I was rubbing the wiring harness in the front driver side wheel well (was already tucked). This would make sense as the driver front tire would be jammed into the wheel well on hard rights. Well I WAS rubbing the wiring harness there so I fixed it all up and retucked it better. I then painted it and took it back on the track. The sputtering continued but when I brought the car back in, the paint had not been rubbed off (so i'm not rubbing the harness anymore). To be honest, with the car totally gutted I'm not even sure what wires in the wheel well harness are being used anymore. My ECU runs through the passenger firewall so is there anything in that wiring on the driver side that COULD even do this?

I can't imagine it is the fuel pump as the pump works fine all the time and the car just sputters on hard rights. Can't be the Alt as it would do it on hard rights and lefts right? I actually don't even know what else to check... :(

Does anyone have any suggestions??

RoastedBumper
11-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Have you taken the fuel pump out? Maybe the fuel sock fell off or something?

Chrisw
11-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Have you taken the fuel pump out? Maybe the fuel sock fell off or something?

Ya, I did take the whole pump out an inspect it. It all seemed fine. I'm not even sure the pump makes sense though with it only happening on hard right corners. If the pump fails, or if the pump is losing power, I don't know why it would be doing it on only hard rights. The wiring that runs to the pump does not run through the front driver side wheel well does it?

heychris
11-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Sounds like some kind of electrical short...

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

unpaintedhatch
11-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Fuel slosh?

Maybe try a fuel dampner radium has em.

zombiewolf513
11-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a loose plug or tight wiring harness or broken wire shielding or a ground shifting loose when you turn

Chrisw
11-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Fuel slosh?

Maybe try a fuel dampner radium has em.

Except that it happens with a totally full tank so I doubt that it's a fuel issue. A short makes sense but i'm no sure where to start i've visually inspected everything and I don't see anything.

Does the fuel pump wiring run through the front wheel well at all?

jdm>usdm
11-09-2015, 12:12 PM
It does sound like an electrical issue. I would crank the car and let it idle, and while it's doing so, go over and shake the crap out of all the areas of the wiring harness. Listen for the idle to drop or engine to shut off to find where the trouble area is.

1Badhatch
11-09-2015, 12:21 PM
It does sound like an electrical issue. I would crank the car and let it idle, and while it's doing so, go over and shake the crap out of all the areas of the wiring harness. Listen for the idle to drop or engine to shut off to find where the trouble area is.

What the fuck do you do for a living im moving over there god damm your neighborhood looks beautiful car too but I would try this I had to do that for the same issue but for me it was hard lefts and my issue was right after where the fuel assembly plugs into the chassis harness inside the car between the fuel assembly and the wheel well on the right side of the car if your behind it mine happend because put a v8 in the trunk of my hatch to tow it home. But the above info will definitely help u simulate a hard right and fid your short

Chrisw
11-10-2015, 09:24 AM
What the fuck do you do for a living im moving over there god damm your neighborhood looks beautiful car too but I would try this I had to do that for the same issue but for me it was hard lefts and my issue was right after where the fuel assembly plugs into the chassis harness inside the car between the fuel assembly and the wheel well on the right side of the car if your behind it mine happend because put a v8 in the trunk of my hatch to tow it home. But the above info will definitely help u simulate a hard right and fid your short

Haha, thanks. I like the area too. :)

As for running the car and shaking the wires will try that asap.

Gingersmurf
11-10-2015, 10:03 AM
We has the very same problem on our race car, turned out to be the harness rubbing on the chassis and eventually shorted the wire. I would place money on it being in the harness somewhere

that1guywithans13
11-28-2015, 04:28 PM
I agree on there being a tug of some sort on the harness