PDA

View Full Version : KA-T manifold question

Loomis112
10-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Hey I need a manifold and downpipe for a t3 flanged turbo that I can keep ac and ps. I Have researched and all I can find is the obx manifold and downpipe and on that down pipe it has a 5 bolt flange.

The only problem is im ordering my turbo from ATP and the only 5 bolt housing they sell with it is the ford 5 bolt and im not sure if it'll match

Any help will be well appreciated.

Loomis112
10-29-2015, 11:20 AM
No one has a top mount ka?

mewantkouki
10-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Full-Race, JGS, Greddy, Peakboost, Doc Race, Boost Junkyz, Revhard, IAP

The downpipe from most of these places can be customized to your turbo. If not you'll have to have one made (like everything else for a ka)

KAT-PWR
10-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Ford 5 bolt is the standard 5 bolt.
Just about every standard manifold will have about the same turbo positioning but there are thousands of combinations. You should go into it with full expectation you will be paying to modify your downpipe.
If you buy the cxracing 2nd gen (best turbo placement of any readily available manifold imo) you would want to buy their downpipe.

If i was a noob and was going to do my whole ka-t over again i would've went with a $50 cast log mani and an HX35/HY35 for reliability (stock motor/7psi/prob be at 240whp)

However if i was looking to make big numbers and grow into a set up. I would buy the cx gen 2 mani and downpipe. It makes maintenance much easier, and keeps heat away from the master cylinder. Two things i've steadily battled with my KA. Sure a new doc race mani/etc has slightly better positioning than my cx gen 1 manifold, but its still really close to the master cylinder.

Say what you will about cx racing quality but IF/WHEN your manifold cracks pay a good welder to reweld the weak spots of the mani and it'll still cost significantly less than a doc race.
Full-Race, JGS, Greddy, Peakboost, Doc Race, Boost Junkyz, Revhard, IAP

The downpipe from most of these places can be customized to your turbo. If not you'll have to have one made (like everything else for a ka)

This isn't 5 years ago, parts for KA-t's are just about as equally available as sr'sa
(shout out east fif)

Loomis112
10-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Ford 5 bolt is the standard 5 bolt.
Just about every standard manifold will have about the same turbo positioning but there are thousands of combinations. You should go into it with full expectation you will be paying to modify your downpipe.
If you buy the cxracing 2nd gen (best turbo placement of any readily available manifold imo) you would want to buy their downpipe.

If i was a noob and was going to do my whole ka-t over again i would've went with a $50 cast log mani and an HX35/HY35 for reliability (stock motor)

However if i was looking to make big numbers and grow into a set up. I would buy the cx gen 2 mani and downpipe. It makes maintenance much easier, and keeps heat away from the master cylinder. Two things i've steadily battled with my KA. Sure a new doc race mani/etc has slightly better positioning than my cx gen 1 manifold, but its still really close to the master cylinder.

Say what you will about cx racing quality but IF/WHEN your manifold cracks pay a good welder to reweld the mani and it'll still cost significantly less than a doc race.

This isn't 5 years ago, parts for KA-t's are just about as equally available as sr's

Dude this helps so much thanks. So you think log manifold and hx35? Are most log manifolds in the same position and why would you choose an hx35 other than reliability? Which hx 35 would be the easiest cause I know theres a few versions. Im looking for budget but im alao looking for reliability to 300whp and later 350whp

Ive done my research but I feel like its never a bad idea to ask someone who has more knowledge for their opinion.

KAT-PWR
10-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Feel free to pm me any questions. I'll be honest with you without HG/studs (and even with) 300-350 more times than not isn't going to last that long on a stock motor.

You want the cast mani that puts the turbo towards the first runner. Ideal for performance? Fuck no. But it keeps the heat away from the master, and will probably never break.
You could do an hx35 maybe an hy for a little quicker spool (the differences escape me off the top of my head)
Subaru 550 sooooo cheap now a days
Enthalpy tune.

Loomis112
10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Feel free to pm me any questions. I'll be honest with you without HG/studs (and even with) 300-350 more times than not isn't going to last that long on a stock motor.

You want the cast mani that puts the turbo towards the first runner. Ideal for performance? Fuck no. But it keeps the heat away from the master, and will probably never break.
You could do an hx35 maybe an hy for a little quicker spool (the differences escape me off the top of my head)
Subaru 550 sooooo cheap now a days
Enthalpy tune.

Hey thanks man. Yeah I wasnt planning to shooting for like 300 right away but I definetly wanna build to it. So cast logs put the turbo further from the master? Honestly it be okay with losing some power for now to make fitment better.

I was plannibg to do an enthalpy/ safc combo till I can go for Nismotronic.

And also id have to do a custom down pipe? Ive seen the hx's have weird exhaust housing patterns

R3b
10-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Exactly what he said, if I were to do it over again i'd get a mazaworks manifold for an extra 200 bucks than the thick gauge cx racing mid turbo mount manifold. Its not bad the flange sits really werid and at the time when I bought my 240 I didn't notice that the downpipe sits literally on the brake booster. It is what it is...

Right now I have a nice little PT turbo setting and then its time too look a shops that can make a fairly clean down pipe. I have no AC but most top mounts you should be fine if not go to a hose or clamp place and get some adapters and new lines made. I was going to run a massive AC line that follows my intercooler piping but instead i'll just get the new lines clamped with heat protective stuff and run it behind the engine.

For a ka-t setup just two things you dont skimp out on and thats a manifold and turbo. Everything else like intercooler, bov, etc go for ebay stuff and then your normal rom tune.