PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry

DGKALLDAY
10-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Guys I'm new to the forum. I'm not the S14 expert nor Nissan expert so I need you guys info on this engine bay. What's the deal with the large hose near the front radiator. I'm interested in buying the car but I'm like wtf? Should I stay away?

daryl337
10-23-2015, 02:18 PM
He's recirculating the BOV back into the intake.

The MAFS has already accounted for a set amount of air - and to vent it atmospherically usually causes it to run rich just after a shift for a quick moment.

Its definitely not a professional installation - but I suppose it probably works.

DGKALLDAY
10-23-2015, 02:25 PM
He's recirculating the BOV back into the intake.

The MAFS has already accounted for a set amount of air - and to vent it atmospherically usually causes it to run rich just after a shift for a quick moment.

Its definitely not a professional installation - but I suppose it probably works.

In your opinion would you stay away from a car like that? Is it alot of work to make it look right. This is my first s14 and turbo so please excuse the dumbass questions. I know you guys know your stuff. I just want a general idea of of what to stay away from when buying one....

NISR20MO
10-23-2015, 03:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with that, that is the proper way (obviously an ugly version) to run a bypass (aka blow off) valve with a pull through MAF.

DGKALLDAY
10-23-2015, 03:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with that, that is the proper way (obviously an ugly version) to run a bypass (aka blow off) valve with a pull through MAF.

Thanks for the input. Just one more question. Is there a pic of how a clean version of the setup looks like just so i can compare? Once again guys I appreciate all the help your guys are giving

daryl337
10-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Well, it would be a little hard to do with his set up as he has the BOV located on the cold pipe. To recirc back to the intake tubing, you *have* to run a long ass hose.

Had he located the BOV on the hot pipe, he could have recirculated it right there.

You'd have 3 options:
1)Go atmospheric (which ideally would require a retune and/or engine management using speed/density)

2)Keep it as is and just deal with the ugly hose.

3) relocate the bov to the hotpipe and then run the hose the short distance to it's destination. This would be your cheapest method to have it function properly and have it look good. It just requires a welder to cut the bov flange off it's current location, and then relocate it on the other side of the intercooler somewhere.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sr20det+bov+recirculation

Then just look at images. There's a couple of different options there.

DGKALLDAY
10-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Well, it would be a little hard to do with his set up as he has the BOV located on the cold pipe. To recirc back to the intake tubing, you *have* to run a long ass hose.

Had he located the BOV on the hot pipe, he could have recirculated it right there.

You'd have 3 options:
1)Go atmospheric (which ideally would require a retune and/or engine management using speed/density)

2)Keep it as is and just deal with the ugly hose.

3) relocate the bov to the hotpipe and then run the hose the short distance to it's destination. This would be your cheapest method to have it function properly and have it look good. It just requires a welder to cut the bov flange off it's current location, and then relocate it on the other side of the intercooler somewhere.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sr20det+bov+recirculation

Then just look at images. There's a couple of different options there.

Darryl thanks for the info I appreciate the quick response
Thank you all that chimed in and having the patience answering my question it helps me appreciate this forum even more :)

Croustibat
10-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Recirc is always better than venting to atm, as most BOV leak at idle and high vacuum. When done correctly it also helps spooling a bit faster. EFR turbos have an integrated recirc valve in them, and their response is impressive. You can actually hear the turbo recircing when not used.

Venting to atm is for kool bois that want the woosh sound - or in case of that specific one, a high pitched note. On our MAFs setup, it is bad, we are dumping metered air out of the system, so the engine goes a bit rich every time you come off boost. That and nothing screams more "i am all bark and no bite" (and i was very polite here) than that kind of noise, but to each their own i guess.

Thing is, this particular BOV might be the only one that is supposed not to leak, by design. Personnally, i don't see the point in recircing them; if you want to recirc one, use a bigger outlet diameter one, and no need for that expensive double piston design.... but with a stock turbo or even a slight upgrade it won't be a problem.

Unless it is a fake one, which maybe 90% of them are. If that is the case, better keep it recirced.

This would not stop me from buying one. Just be ready to throw money at it, these cars are money pits, whatever you do there is always more to be done.

Also, daril337 point 1 is totally false - if he ever had one of these, he'd know why. Points 2 & 3 are valid though.

DGKALLDAY
10-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info, Croustibat I'm trying to learn as much as possible and this helps. Although its a money pit, Its a nice car and I want to enjoy it and learn more about the car through hands on and you guys.