PDA

View Full Version : S13 Fuel pump upgrade question

sentradude
10-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Searched but cannot find definitive answer seems like there are two sides to this. S13 Redtop was tuned with a Walboro 255LPH. Recently I decided to go with a beefier Denso 1040 rated at 300LPH. Will that throw things off ? Will I need to retune? Stock FPR, Stock injectors, stock everything. Thanks in advance.

MADE
10-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Nope.

The fuel will just return to the tank and be warmer from the heat generated but the pump.
But wild guess.

codyace
10-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Do you have a gauge on the car? With the stock FPR some of the more powerful pumps have been known to 'push through' them and provide more base fuel pressure than OEM.

Now with that considered, this will not hurt anything, but you will be using more fuel than OEM and obviously running a hair richer.

Now my question to you is, are you planning on building the car? Seems overkill for 'stock'...

sentradude
10-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Thx for the reply's.
MADE - that's what I thought but there seem to be mixed feelings about this all over the internet.

codyace - basically I want a reliable daily driver and I "never" want to replace the fuel pump again and Walboros are known to have a higher failure rate after a few years and are more sensitive than Denso to fuel levels etc.., thus the decision to change from Walboro to Denso. I'm sure I will be building the car more over the years after all, that's part of the hobby. I just didn't want to re-tune the car just because of the fuel pump.

MADE
10-18-2015, 11:49 AM
I been running a Walbro since 2006 and with 5 years sitting in a tank from being stored with min use and the other years running hard.

Walbro has my reliability vote.

sentradude
10-19-2015, 11:54 AM
I guess from what I've read is that Walboros may run hot if you run the tank low it can cause harm, they rely on the fuel to keep them cool. Living in Phoenix, AZ it gets hot here during summer time and it can cause it to fail.. last thing I would want is to get stuck on the freeway somewhere at 120F ... better safe than sorry!

TheRealSy90
10-19-2015, 12:02 PM
My S13 had a walbro in it when I bought it in 2009. Still has the same pump and I ran it to E almost every time I drove it. The pump is noticeable louder now and makes weird noises when it primes, but it pumps lol. I'm not even mad, it lasted way longer than it should have.

sentradude
10-19-2015, 12:09 PM
LOL.... damn it!! I already put the Denso in I'm not changing my mind!! haha

KAT-PWR
10-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Did your wideband readings change significantly?
Yes- Adjustable FPR
No- Drive the car

codyace
10-19-2015, 10:37 PM
I been running a Walbro since 2006 and with 5 years sitting in a tank from being stored with min use and the other years running hard.

Walbro has my reliability vote.

Mine's originally from my turbo Altima, which I built in 03. LOL.

Walbro FTW. Well, REAL Walbro...I guess there are 'copies' out there nowadays.

I guess from what I've read is that Walboros may run hot if you run the tank low it can cause harm, they rely on the fuel to keep them cool. Living in Phoenix, AZ it gets hot here during summer time and it can cause it to fail.. last thing I would want is to get stuck on the freeway somewhere at 120F ... better safe than sorry!

All pumps use the fuel to 'cool' itself..stock, and aftermarket.

It's not as if you're going to have any issues, just a tad overkill...but that's ok!