PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Starter Not Engaging Flywheel

Mofuhcka
10-17-2015, 03:20 PM
My SR is mated to a KA transmission. Just changed the starter (brand new) and it will not engage the flywheel, just spins freely. Google has led me to buy a new starter but since it's brand new, I don't know where to go next. Hitting it on side still won't let it engage. Anyone run into this problem and walk out successful?

codyace
10-18-2015, 08:06 AM
I assume you mean SR bellhousing on a KA trans. I woudl assume so or you'd never get it to line up.

With that said, it's probably a shit starter and you'll need a replacement. Good luck with a rebuild, they're full of unicorn parts that most don't have. Maybe you can have a local guy tear it apart and make it work, but usually they're trash.

Good luck

Mofuhcka
10-18-2015, 08:56 AM
I assume you mean SR bellhousing on a KA trans. I woudl assume so or you'd never get it to line up.

With that said, it's probably a shit starter and you'll need a replacement. Good luck with a rebuild, they're full of unicorn parts that most don't have. Maybe you can have a local guy tear it apart and make it work, but usually they're trash.

Good luck

Yes SR bellhousing. See the thing is that the starter is brand new and works fine when we test it, extends and everything.

Black240Ct
10-19-2015, 04:51 PM
do you have the metal plate inbetween the bellhousing and block? without it the starter might not be lined up with the flywheel and not hitting it.

TheRealSy90
10-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah, maybe missing the dust plate between block and trans?

Mofuhcka
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM
do you have the metal plate inbetween the bellhousing and block? without it the starter might not be lined up with the flywheel and not hitting it.

Yeah, maybe missing the dust plate between block and trans?

Heard that a few times but there wasn't one there before and it was fine

daryl337
10-20-2015, 04:11 PM
That spacer sets your starter further away from the flywheel so the teeth don't bind as the starter over extends. If you are missing the flywheel altogether and your ring gear is in good condition - and you have the proper diameter flywheel... then it has to be your starter and/or wiring.

The starter itself might be ok but if you are getting low current due to shoddy wiring then it may not extend out completely.

Black240Ct
10-21-2015, 05:57 AM
it might have worked with out the plate before, but now the starter may be like 1 or 2 mm further away and not engaging. u can loosen up the starter and try to move it over a bit to line up if you cant get a hold of the plate

TheFallen207
12-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Was this ever fixed? I have the same issue, except I have the dust cover on, and purchased the new mishimoto starter. It just makes a whirring sound that's dull and slow. The starter gets hot and the positive battery cable on the starter is like lava.

Adam.G
02-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Old thread but I'm also in the same boat as Thefallen207 with a new starter and dust cover on.

Mofuhcka
03-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Was this ever fixed? I have the same issue, except I have the dust cover on, and purchased the new mishimoto starter. It just makes a whirring sound that's dull and slow. The starter gets hot and the positive battery cable on the starter is like lava.

Old thread but I'm also in the same boat as Thefallen207 with a new starter and dust cover on.

Ended up finding a dust cover and still wouldnt extend. The wiring is a mess so im guessing theres a short there somewhere. Gonna order a new wiring specialties harness next week since Im swapping it into another car anyways. Stay tuned.