PDA

View Full Version : Droping r154 from s14

Djinfinit
09-29-2015, 08:49 PM
how hard is it to do in comparison to the stock ka tranny. Any special tools needed?

Thanks,
Randy Rashid

AzS13hatch
09-30-2015, 05:57 AM
I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure a lot of it is going to depend on your specific setup. Some swap kits put the engine closer to the firewall, harder to reach the trans bolts. Worse case, you should be able to disconnect the trans mount and tilt the motor a little to give some extra room if needed maybe? Shouldn't need any special tools though.

Chronicle
09-30-2015, 10:07 AM
The hardest bolts to remove are actually the bolts to the starter. I actually had to drill a hole in the firewall to access the top starter bolt. Also, it's a bit easier to pull if you reverse the TSM install instructions, which involves using the flywheel inspection holes to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel before actually pulling the transmission out.

Djinfinit
09-30-2015, 09:34 PM
hmm.. thats weird some guys claim that the r154 swims in the s14 tranny tunnel and has plenty of space. They also claim that its easier to get out rather than the sr or ka tranny which i found surprising and wanted clarification on .

AzS13hatch
10-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Well as I said, I've never done it. It may swim in the tunnel. I have a z33 trans, so I must pull my motor out or at least lift it a foot or 2 in order to tilt it enough to unbolt everything. I try not to need to pull my trans... ever