PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak issue

silversr
09-24-2015, 08:51 AM
I bought an s13 that was sitting for over 10yrs that had a rusty gas tank. The previous owner replaced the fuel pump so it would start. When I got it I noticed a very strong gas smell and it was because of the o-ring around the fuel pump assembly. I replaced it, along with a newer fuel tank because of the rust. It would still leak out of the o-ring (OEM) so I replaced the fuel filter and it packed full of rust. That helped because it stopped leaking out of the o-ring and now its leaking out of the 4 wire connection points on top of the fuel assembly. I tested it by using soap bubbles.
It stops leaking when I remove the gas cap. I don't want to drive around without a gas cap so I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue. The fuel pump assembly is in good shape. I replaced it.

Kingtal0n
09-24-2015, 08:59 AM
pressure in the tank passes out a special valve and leads via fuel line to the front of the car near the engine, I believe to the charcoal canister. Sounds like the line is plugged that lets the pressure out, did you mess with the charcoal can? When you changed the fuel tank maybe you removed or plugged this special line.

silversr
09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
When I changed the tank I hooked the vent line up. I did remove the line from the charcoal canister to see if it would make a difference. It didn't but I guess if the line was plugged it wouldn't make a difference.