PDA

View Full Version : s14 sr20det upgrades mega squirt possibility

k954triniz
09-17-2015, 06:53 PM
i am in the process of doing some up grades to my S14.
i current have stock S14 sr20det and tranny with just a upgrades turbo
t3/t4 nothing crazy tuned with a APEXI S-AFC2 and a Z maf sensor made 319hp
other parts i have
HKS SQV bov
ebay wastegate spring rate unknown
koyo rad
freddy intake manifold
HKS hipower exhaust with 3" piping
and a turbo smart manual boost controller
thats all the drive train upgrades at this point

i just want my car running properly hopefully make closer to the 350-400hp range
plans are to install 555cc injectors. with a upgraded fuel rail probably HKS knock off
walboro 255 fuel pump
update wastegate with a tial waste gate ( spring weights recommendations accepted)
most of my questions are about my choice of EMS
i am getting a mega squirt ver 2 or 3 unknown at this point.
i am seeing people used the v2 with s13 sr20
but i under the s14 engine has a few more sensors
what are your recommendations on these EMS
pros cons. get er done or no go

im looking for 350hp right now 400 would be nice but im on a budget
dont really want to open up the engine as of yet.
so if there is some other bolt on upgrades i should do that i havent already stated please feel free to advise.

Croustibat
09-18-2015, 09:36 AM
My opinion on your request :

You don't need an EMS change, you can go with a daughterboard in the stock ECU. Less tuning & logging capabilities than an EMS, but cost and hassle are way lower.
I usually recommend fitting a nistune. It now has added capabilities like launch control, fan control and full flexfuel capabilities with a generic GM sensor.

various points :
You dont need a freddy intake nor fuel rail 'upgrade'. The freddy kills your low end and won't increase your top end unless you go high boost. The fuel rail upgrade adds nothing at all except bling. If you still want one, i recommend getting a top feed fuel rail. Side feed injectors are a major problem when their seal leaks.

There is a very high possibility of your BOV being a counterfeit, so i suggest to check it and bin it if it is, or recirc it.

If you can get a modern turbo, go for it, it will be worth it - although it may destroy gearbox way faster and are expensive.

Forget these 20 year old injectors and get yourself some modern, ev14 based ones. Their 1000cc have better latency and spray better than old time 550ccs, and not that more expensive.

If you really wish to change your fuel rail, going top feed injectors is a good idea. Side feeds will flood and hydrolock your engine when a seal leaks, and that will either flood your oil pan with fuel if your rings are worn or bend a rod if you try starting.

You may want to pile up on gearboxes, or prepare for a Z33 gb swap. They don't like taking 400hp. The Z33 late gearbox is really tough, you won't break it with an SR20 (even with 30+psi of boost)

Also, get a non viscous limited slip diff. Second hand S15 torsen is the cheapest and easiest way to go.

edit: be very careful, S20 ringlands are very prone to die under minimal knock. switching to e85 is a good move to protect them, as it burns cooler and has way higher octane rating.