PDA

View Full Version : S14 steering wheel spline shaft? please help

gabefromcali
09-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Does anyone have any info on replacing this or a possible repair? The dummy that had the car before me cut off the threads leaving the steering wheel able to stay on and steer but it will easily slide off with a little pull. There are no threads hence there is no nut hence this is very unsafe. I know I can cut another piece of thread off an existing one and reweld blah blah blah. I'd like to just replace it but yeah..any help is appreciated or redirect me to a similair thread. Thanks!

http://i60.tinypic.com/34ypu7r.jpg

JM216S14
09-11-2015, 10:47 AM
replace the entire steering column

gabefromcali
09-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Dang. Is this really the only way to replace it?

cotbu
09-11-2015, 02:39 PM
caution this is a temp fix, and the best repair is to replace the column. remove the air bag thing. does it even work with no harness? idk it does it will probably blow the wheel in your face!
1.Fit the steering wheel measure whats left, grind down the spleen and run a die over it and put a matching nut or lock washer and nut, if you have room.
2. That hole, if its straight and deep enough, run a tap through it install a matching bolt and washer and or loctite.

These are just suggestions because,mother is the necessity of invention!

gabefromcali
09-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm just going to replace it. A forum member presented one to me so i might as well just do it now. That's for your input.