PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

joe3180
08-18-2015, 01:13 PM
little background: had this starting issue since I had the motor rebuilt. it would take a good 3-6 seconds of turning over to get the car started. I say its the battery which was "new" at the time and wouldn't be replaced because "it was able to hold a charge" which is bs. anyway. its been doing that for a year and ive been trying to see if there was anything else that could be causing it with no luck of finding anything. which brings me to yesterday. I stop to get something to eat and when I get back to the car, it wont start. happens time to time. rock it a bit and then will start like normal, bad, but how ive grown accustom. but this time it seemed really weak and then I hear kinda like a pop and the starter starts spinning, the rpms start moving up and settle around 6k, turn the key off and still spinning. give it a couple taps and it stops. first time that happened. try a few more time and still wont work and I smell gas. I think I must have flooded the motor. I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it. it wants to start and fires a few times and dies. I think, ok so it might be clear now. fuse back in. try again. same junk. weak turn over. hear another crack/pop. say screw it and have the car towed home. so today in the morning I go out and try again. same weak turn over, no fire. swap the battery out of my Subaru to try with a good fully charged battery...just in case. trys, trys, trys, starter starts spinning again. tap tap. stops. try one more time. smell fuel and stop.

so besides the starter and battery. anything else that I can check? something that I could have broken by doing that to my poor car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNtd7537hI
don't think it shows too much but this a vid of the car trying to start.

s13 sr20det, aem ems series 2, map sensor, open vent bov, starter replaced last year, all hoses connected and undamaged. car has a underheating problem(faster I go, colder engine gets) that I'm going to finally going to be able to get to now...thinking thermo stuck open.

ask any info needed. thanks.

also seems to have a bit of blow by in the intake which I had no noticed in the past year. if oil got on the map sensor would that do anything like described as far as starting?