PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 swap preferences/differences

collegekid
08-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Hello everyone. I know people ask everyday what to look for when buying an sr or what differences there are.

I didnt find anything on preferences, specifically what models people like to buy or use mostly.

I've read a handful of discussions about the differences between all Sr20 series engines, but what ones specifically do you guys like to run. WHY did you buy the redtop instead of the blacktop or the S15 versus the S14?

If I had to ask a direct question then here it is
- I own a 1996 Nissan 240sx. I am ready to buy my first engine swap. I've done enough research with part numbers and data to feel confident on my own buying one in person from one of the 3 importers in New Jersey.

Realistically talking I want to start off stock and move up to 350whp before I consider a Ls swap. I've been considering the S13 blacktop and the S14 Sr.
Age of the engine doesnt matter anymore since the youngest motor will be 13 years old.

Which one do you think I should buy?

I know redtop motorsets will be cheaper so it will be cheaper to buy and rebuild vs any other Sr. It also looks ghetto having an S13 motor in an S14. That is the only thing that bothers me.

S13 blacktops don't have VTC so I assume they are easier to mod as far as cams and stuff.

S14 Sr in a S14 just sounds normal to me "proper silvia swap/ period correct" are some phrases that come to mind.

S15 sounds pointless to me because it's not much newer than the other motors now, Maybe in 2006 that would have been appealing but not now. I trust the 6 speed from the G35/ 350z more.

I dont know how much of a hassle the VTC is. The only people around me that run the Sr are a local shop that wants to sell me one that they have lying around ( which they have to rebuild).

What do you guys like?
Whats the easiest one to mod?
Which one has the most aftermarket parts or accessories?

My plan is just to buy a swap and get it running. It's not a daily driver but I'd like to get a swap in an running before I start painting the car inside and out ( it already is ready for paint)

Rebuilding the engine will be my last goal once I see that everything works and my wallet recovers.

mwilloughby87
08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
really...... "it looks ghetto having an S13 motor in an S14"?

soundboy
08-18-2015, 12:48 PM
S15 motor. S13/s14 5 speed.
End.

kruked
08-18-2015, 06:15 PM
really...... "it looks ghetto having an S13 motor in an S14"?

Yea, think about it.

S13 motor...s14 chassis.

That's all that stood out to you in his entire post?

Kingtal0n
08-18-2015, 06:33 PM
cheapest option is the S14 zenki sr20. You can do the swap in a single day for around $3300 using mostly oem parts including exhaust and radiator.

More expensive but lower mileage is the S15 engine, you could go that was but to do it right with the six speed and HLSD would cost $5000~

If you dont need a six speed then I wouldnt bother with the S15 engines because if you happen to find one without a transmission that would raise an eyebrow by itself.
I would also steer clear of rebuilds like the plague. Unless you are FSM capable service mechanic capable of doing a home rebuild yourself using a known good core engine, I wouldn't even consider it an option.

The OEM bottom end is 320-350rwhp reliable on a bad day. If your goals take you above that, you are better off going 2jz-gte OEM bottom end for 500~rwhp with the same reliability factor.

I would never put an S13 sr into a 240sx again. The age, the gearing, the technology, the feel of not being able to cruise along at 80mph, the engine is practically an antique at this point and I avoid them for the better options that I am more confident cruising around with. VTC is a great piece that adds a bump to low-end torque and should be used. The OEM S14 turbo is also quite a boost from the journal T-25 on the S13 engines. S14/S15 models are worth the extra dollar, but it is the turbo that makes perhaps the biggest difference.