PDA

View Full Version : too much blow by???

WhiteGLX
08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
My dipstick pops out of hte rod about 2 inches when i push teh car a lil bit or even when i dont push it sometimes, i think its because i have too much blow-by adn the added airpressure in teh case is forcing the dipstick to pop out.

Is there a way to fix this or at least lock teh dipstick down?

i know i could tap an oil catch can onto the block, but that requires LOTS of cleaning and shit to keep metal flaks out of engine and finding the right place would be a be&%ch to find.

please let me know while i have opportunities to fix it.

orion::S14
08-23-2004, 01:21 PM
What motor?
If it's turbo, then I'd bet you're somehow pressurising the crankcase (like having the valve cover breather connected to the intercooler pipes, under pressure).

If it's N/A, then...is your PCV hooked up and working properly?

- Brian

WhiteGLX
08-23-2004, 04:27 PM
i have S13 blacktop SR20DET, w/ S15 turbo and all the basic FMIC and exhaust upgrades, all on stock boost <-- info to help if its nbeeded

i have a little breather filter right on teh valve cover where the "T" fitting sticks out above the turbo.

sr240mike
08-23-2004, 04:43 PM
It sounds like its blowby. Have you checked the compression?

WhiteGLX
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
not personally, i gatta wait for buddy to get his compression shit back.

if it is blowby, what can i do to fix it tho? because im almost posivite its deff blow by, i just wanna knwo what steps i gatta take to fix it, with out needed to go into teh bottom end.

bdeisle
08-23-2004, 07:25 PM
while the car is running take off the oil cap slowly and if you see a lot of oil being tossed and "steam" more then likly piston rings are becoming fried or a sh it load of oil coming out of the valve breather.. though if its not bad just check the pvr valve (pressure release valve for the oil).. thats what went up on mine, in turn made me have to do a rebuild on my ka.. but im not complaining

WhiteGLX
08-23-2004, 07:33 PM
so basically since i know i have blow by because the dipstick keeps popin out, i will need a rebuild at some point because the rings arnt up to par, i dont burn oil as far as i know

sr240mike
08-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Well on my last car it was blowby caused by bad piston rings. A faulty pcv would have the same results.

WhiteGLX
08-23-2004, 07:41 PM
where is the pcv exactly, to help me save a lil time

WhiteGLX
08-25-2004, 02:29 PM
can anyone tell me where the pcv is?

ecause i honestly have no idea, never had to find it before

Spdrules5
08-26-2004, 06:51 AM
Do you have the block blow by tube(under turbo at back of motor) going up to a factory catch can looking device(or straight into the valvecover "T")?
Where you put the little air filter, is there anything on the other end of "T", if so what?

You kinda have to suck the blow by from the motor to the valvecover "T" then if you want, a catch can, then back into the inlet side of the turbo. If not, wierd things can happen to your motor and be mistaken for a lot of other serious things. Start with making sure the plumbing is at least factory for now, then diagnose any more serious problems that may still be there. More than likely therewon't be any.

WhiteGLX
08-26-2004, 12:29 PM
so i cant just put a lil tiny finter on the other side of the "t" i actually need a vaccuem effect going on?

i didnt have it rigged that way because i never got the stock intake tube, i gues i gatta get my hands on one now.

basically i have a tiny airfilter on one side ot teh "T" and justa hose running from teh other side down into the block behind the turbo......ive seen this set up numerous times, but no one has any issues with it, why is that?