PDA

View Full Version : Oil Blowing out of dipstick

Billiam151
07-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Hey there everyone. Just recently I noticed that SR20 was smoking really bad, hell I thought I was on fire.. When I stopped I had oil all over the engine and of course it was smoking like crazy. The only spot I could see where the oil was coming from was from the dipstick it was moved up and not seated 100%. So I made it home and did a massive cleanup and it looked great... Its a secondary car so I don't drive it much. I decided to take it out and drive it and low and behold it did it again.. What is causing my dipstick to be pushed out like this? I never had this problem before..

Thanks for the help...

jr_ss
07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Sounds like too much crank case pressure. I think you need to preform a compression test before you drive it more. I'd say your rings are shot and you need a rebuild.

Kingtal0n
07-26-2015, 03:47 PM
check your pcv valve first

ultimateirving
07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Yea pcv failing can cause boost to enter the crank case. Also make sure there is no pressurized lines going to the valve cover

Billiam151
07-26-2015, 08:23 PM
I also want to make sure that I have my Pcv lines correct.. I do not have a catch can so I think that is going to be my first move. I remember seeing on here the correct hose setup but when searching I was not able to find it so if someone could assist me that would be awesome.

I have not done a compression test yet either but I will once I have some time to get it done. My days are pretty filled so I will work on it when I have some time.

Thank you for the imput so far..

Kingtal0n
07-26-2015, 09:39 PM
catch cans are if the engine is blown but you want to keep driving it anyways until it completely blows. Is that what you want?

Billiam151
07-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Of course I don't want to blow it up. My main reason stating that is I know I saw a drawing with a correct pcv set up and was saying I knew mine was not set up that way. I would prefer it not be blown.

jr_ss
07-27-2015, 07:05 PM
That's not all a catch can is for... Just check over the things you've been suggested and post up your findings.

Croustibat
08-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Catch cans are useless on these engines, they are a nice way to dress your engine bay but thats all. There are already oil condensing plates in rocker covers, if you still have oil going there, it means you are using crappy or worn oil, or you have a problem (like rings not doing their job).

I did install one in mine, and never got anything else than water in there (not coolant, water, coming in the engine at night when it gets cold). Had i not changed the intake side, i'd put it like OEM again.

Things get different if you go high boost (like 30-50psi), but on most engines here, no need for one. If you want to upgrade something, the crankcase breather is a sure hit, it usually clogs when improper or worn oil is used, and creates that poping dipstick situation.

Kingtal0n
08-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Catch cans are useless on these engines, they are a nice way to dress your engine bay but thats all. There are already oil condensing plates in rocker covers, if you still have oil going there, it means you are using crappy or worn oil, or you have a problem (like rings not doing their job).

I did install one in mine, and never got anything else than water in there (not coolant, water, coming in the engine at night when it gets cold). Had i not changed the intake side, i'd put it like OEM again.

Things get different if you go high boost (like 30-50psi), but on most engines here, no need for one. If you want to upgrade something, the crankcase breather is a sure hit, it usually clogs when improper or worn oil is used, and creates that poping dipstick situation.

AGREE

also, never vent your PCV system to the atmosphere.