PDA

View Full Version : sr numbering help

ricardo.benin
07-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi I marked the pistons on my sr that I have taken apart and I was wondering what is the numbers on top of piston and the rods also have markings on the cap and rod there is 0's on one side on all rods and there is 1-4 marks on the opposite side of rods what do these markings mean specifically the numbers 1-4 as each rod has either 1, 2, 3, 4.
Thanks
Richard

cotbu
07-19-2015, 11:55 PM
You weren't observing things correctly when you were disassembling this engine!
The numbers on the rods indicate the cylinder they came from, and the caps go with the rods. the zero is the grade. the markings in the piston is probably the grade as well. if the engine was stock or rebuilt stock. Ive seen engines with two number 4's and two 3's, clearly not oem stock engine as the owners were told.

ricardo.benin
07-20-2015, 08:09 AM
HI so the engine I bought second hand but what should I do if the rods are marked differently.
Thanks

cotbu
07-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Ideally you put things back the way you found them! Or consider this build the new blue print for the engine and make note of everything you change, so if later there's a problem you can say i switched number 4 rod into cylinder whatever, get it.

ricardo.benin
07-20-2015, 11:09 AM
I talked to a couple machinists today and they said that it does not really matter on a inline 4 cylinder they said if I am worried just have the rods balanced and make sure the pistons weigh the same.
Thanks