PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get spark from ka24DE

Curtis_brett
07-19-2015, 11:25 AM
My car is cranking but will not spark!! I've made sure timing is on point at top dead center, had the starter tested at Oriley's I've tested the distributor with an ohms tester and it tested good, the coil tested fine as well! Just changed the rotor, and the cap, brand new spark plugs, brand new spark plug wiring. My voltage reads above 12 and gets recharged after cranking. But still no spark.... any suggestions? Is It possible my distributor could be bad still even though its testing good?? Anything else that might be causing this problem? Need help please!

beavis360
07-19-2015, 11:33 AM
How do you know there is no spark?

I had something like this where there is spark but too much fuel, so starting with the fuel fuse(driver side kick panel on s14) removed stopped the fuel pump from flooding, then just popped the fuse back in.

1. remove fuel pump fuse
2. crank/start engine
3. pop the fuel pump fuse back in before the engine dies

otherwise more info on how you tested there is actually no spark will help people help you

Curtis_brett
07-19-2015, 11:42 AM
I will give that a try, I took the spark plug attached to the spark plug wire, grounded it out to the block and got no spark, if it helps any I have perfect compression on this engine with a compression tester.

Curtis_brett
07-19-2015, 11:46 AM
My car cranks but does not turnover, I can't get it to run and stay running so that I could put the fuse back in before it dies, if that makes sense.

How do you know there is no spark?

I had something like this where there is spark but too much fuel, so starting with the fuel fuse(driver side kick panel on s14) removed stopped the fuel pump from flooding, then just popped the fuse back in.

1. remove fuel pump fuse
2. crank/start engine
3. pop the fuel pump fuse back in before the engine dies

otherwise more info on how you tested there is actually no spark will help people help you

beavis360
07-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Sorry that is not clear.

"My car cranks but does not turnover"

Sounds like you're saying that you are able to crank the engine by manually turning the crankshaft but when you do it via the ignition system it does not turnover(starter engage flywheel > spins flywheel > flywheel turns crankshaft)

You sound like you know what you're doing, enough to do a compression test. So there's a piece of the puzzle missing from what you're saying

When you turn the key the engine spins, correct?

Then assuming the engine is turning over, work backwards, double check for spark at the distributor main lead instead of the spark plug.
I use an spark tester like: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-circuit-tester-light-sound-hook-probe-with-interchangeable-tips-86273/6760000-P

This will confirm whether its really a spark issue. If you have spark at the main lead your rotor could just be backwards or a cap bad or the dizzy off by 1 tooth. Both the dizzy being off a tooth and cap being backwards are common

Curtis_brett
07-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Sorry ill provide more information! From the inside of the car, turn the key and it cranks, i can watch the cams turn, valves move up and down but it only cranks and doesn't turnover. I recently just put a new rotor and cap on there, the rotor that is on the ka24de can only be put on in one direction, ive heard of it being backwards but it only snaps in in one direction, ill have to get one of those testers to check the distributor main lead. The clutch pedal doesn't seem to go to the floor, it only drops about 2 inches and doesn't move. Not even hard pressure will make it drop to the floor, is there anyway this could be the reason im not getting spark as well? Thank you for your time!

Sorry that is not clear.

"My car cranks but does not turnover"

Sounds like you're saying that you are able to crank the engine by manually turning the crankshaft but when you do it via the ignition system it does not turnover(starter engage flywheel > spins flywheel > flywheel turns crankshaft)

You sound like you know what you're doing, enough to do a compression test. So there's a piece of the puzzle missing from what you're saying

When you turn the key the engine spins, correct?

Then assuming the engine is turning over, work backwards, double check for spark at the distributor main lead instead of the spark plug.
I use an spark tester like: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-circuit-tester-light-sound-hook-probe-with-interchangeable-tips-86273/6760000-P

This will confirm whether its really a spark issue. If you have spark at the main lead your rotor could just be backwards or a cap bad or the dizzy off by 1 tooth. Both the dizzy being off a tooth and cap being backwards are common

beavis360
07-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Sorry ill provide more information! From the inside of the car, turn the key and it cranks, i can watch the cams turn, valves move up and down but it only cranks and doesn't turnover. I recently just put a new rotor and cap on there, the rotor that is on the ka24de can only be put on in one direction, ive heard of it being backwards but it only snaps in in one direction, ill have to get one of those testers to check the distributor main lead. The clutch pedal doesn't seem to go to the floor, it only drops about 2 inches and doesn't move. Not even hard pressure will make it drop to the floor, is there anyway this could be the reason im not getting spark as well? Thank you for your time!

Can you confirm that you've turned in engine by hand before and are able to now? (by hand = via wrench and big socket.... i think its 24mm, clockwise only if the dizzy is on, standing in front of the car looking at the engine)

That clutch behavior doesn't sound normal BUT so long as the engine is able to turn freely per the test above, the clutch wouldnt stop it from spinning. If the clutch is engaged, car in gear, ebrake, and up a hill I could imagine a weak battery not being strong enough to turn the crank and then, no spark

yilubset
07-20-2015, 05:57 AM
That clutch behavior doesn't sound normal BUT so long as the engine is able to turn freely per the test above, the clutch wouldnt stop it from spinning.http://goo.gl/feCCP2

Driftwire
07-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Possible bad igniter, check the harness, grounds. KA24DE is a simple engine to get working.