PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt ebay turbo

spools420a
07-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Hello zilvia,I hate to say it but those ebay turbochargers are just too cheap to dismiss so I was thinking if I was to buy one and buy a rebuild kit with it they would still be cheaper then anywhere else plus they will be 0 miles since the rebuild.I always here how ebay turbos are junk but I don't see why if you rebuild the things.Is this a good idea?I wanna know who has done this with great results.

soundboy
07-14-2015, 10:17 AM
EBay turbos are junk because they have no quality standard.

kruked
07-14-2015, 10:21 AM
I have an eBay t3/t4-to4e turbo on my engine. Has about 30k miles, dailied on 10lbs. Not one problem thus far.

Ebay turbos are hit or miss.

To answer your question though, yes, you can have it rebuilt.

teh smithers
07-14-2015, 11:49 AM
They're cheap for a reason. Please be advised that taking the cheap route on a vital component is foolish and should not be attempted.

anti tyler
07-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I've had one on my other KA-t for 8 years. Been rebuilt twice with Gpop Shop kits each time. No issues.

Keep your bandwagon comments to yourself unless you have a relevant situation to comment on, not all ebay junk is, junk.

Koukiii
07-14-2015, 12:17 PM
A lot of LS guys have success with them. Like people here said they are hit or miss.

I'm one of those people who would shy away from ebay turbos and go straight to BW for cheap but quality turbos.

KAT-PWR
07-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Lasted a while on 10psi. My second one didn't last very long on 20psi daily. The metal of the fins are cheap and the tips slowly start to bend with a lot of boost. If you're willing to do the rebuild yourself you may come out okay.
I can say if i were do be able to go back in time, i would've got a holset. They run used about the same price as a new ebay turbo

spooled240
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM
I had good luck with a few of them on my ka-t at 10 psi. Shaft play became pretty bad and oil seals began leaking after 4-5 years of daily driving, but for the price I definitely got my money's worth lol

slow92
07-14-2015, 03:11 PM
My t70 worked for me for a while. I ended up taking to a Garrett dealer and they mic'd all of the parts and put together a rebuild kit for under $50. It ran fine after I rebuilt it and it had no problems pushing 20psi on my sr20det.

AzS13hatch
07-15-2015, 12:55 PM
I had an ebay turbo on my talon that lasted a little over 20k miles. When it finally died I got a slightly bigger ebay turbo to replace it and it failed almost immediately after breaking it in. As stated above they are hit or miss. But I would rather buy a used holset or something cheap but known quality and just have that rebuilt for the same price you are going to spend on ebay sh*t.

spools420a
07-16-2015, 10:05 AM
So seems pretty much split between hit and miss,The thing is most people go off what they heard rather then actually experiencing ebay turbos.then theres the cheap quality but I noticed there not all cheap quality turbos I see lots of borg warners kkk /garrett turbos therefore theres lots of potentially good turbos once rebuilt.

I just don't see whats wrong with a ebay turbo that's made by garrett that's been rebuilt once purchased it almost seems like the way to go since your getting a quality turbo brand with 0 miles on rebuild or are some turbos just too far gone to even rebuild thus making them (junk) as most claim?

Kingtal0n
07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
I would never put something on an engine I care about that has a reasonable chance to send metal fragments through the engine.

Koukiii
07-16-2015, 10:55 AM
So seems pretty much split between hit and miss,The thing is most people go off what they heard rather then actually experiencing ebay turbos.then theres the cheap quality but I noticed there not all cheap quality turbos I see lots of borg warners kkk /garrett turbos therefore theres lots of potentially good turbos once rebuilt.

I just don't see whats wrong with a ebay turbo that's made by garrett that's been rebuilt once purchased it almost seems like the way to go since your getting a quality turbo brand with 0 miles on rebuild or are some turbos just too far gone to even rebuild thus making them (junk) as most claim?

OP is talking about the no name Chinese turbos that you can get off ebay for $300ish. When someone says ebay turbo that's what they mean.

kruked
07-16-2015, 11:29 AM
I would never put something on an engine I care about that has a reasonable chance to send metal fragments through the engine.

Are you stupid, bro?

Any turbo has the ability. How often do you actually pull of your intake and check the shaft play? I bet no where near as often as you check your oil level.
A turbo, (no matter what brand) when it's time, it's time. And most people won't know until it happens.

brndck
07-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Are you stupid, bro?

Any turbo has the ability. How often do you actually pull of your intake and check the shaft play? I bet no where near as often as you check your oil level.
A turbo, (no matter what brand) when it's time, it's time. And most people won't know until it happens.

But why risk it with a unit that has unknown build quality or QC?
How many garrett/borg warner/holset/etc units do you see shitting the bed after 10-20k miles? seems like a stupid thing to cheap out on, especially for how cheaply you can find either a holset, s14/15 t28, or even a used 2871r for.

jedi03
07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Go with twisted motion...same price and they have qc on it!