PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable tie rods on the street (Kazama Super tie rods)

alkemyst
08-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I got these when my 'stock' replacements did not fit right for free.

Now that I am reading about them I hear that 'hard' ball joints are terrible on the street (potholes and ruts destroy them quick)....

What's the opinion on the Kazama's?

I can pick up a set of Moog ends for $40/pr if this is a bad idea.

Å

projectRDM
08-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Don't hit potholes.

Seriously, they do take more stress because they're a solid piece, but I don't see a lot of possible wear. I'm down to 2 bushings left and everything will be pillowball on my car, I've never noticed any bad wear or damage to anything. But I also drive with care over bad places in the road.

Steeles
08-20-2004, 07:10 AM
I've had mine on for almost a year. I dont even notice them. but Im almost on Russ's level. everything under my car just about is spherical. get um you'll like them.

sideviewcivic
08-20-2004, 08:47 AM
i have heard input that the kazama ones far out do the tein tie rod ends. so much so you are better off getting tein inner rods and running kazama outter rods. you will definately get more bumpsteer, but that is just a by-product of replacing bushings with heim-joints,pillowball mounts, and spherical bearings. personally the only bushings i wud want on my car wud be the steering rack. everything else change out for spherical. harder is better

alkemyst
08-20-2004, 09:56 AM
The purpose of the 'height' adjustable tie rods are to remove bumpsteer actually....that's mainly the purpose of them.

Anyone know the proper way to adjust this 'hieght'. They give you a skinny and a thick spacer, I heard it goes skinny on top and thick on the bottom and then you tighten that down. If you lower more you move them both to the top....although I have no clue. I am debating just buying Moog's for now and holding on to these if my car ever moves to weekend warrior duty only.

How do they affect ride quality?

Steeles
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
they dont affect ride quality. you adjust the height dependent on your car. they are designed to keep the angles correct on lowered car. the lower your car the more spacers on top of the bushing (or bottom I forgot) its an eyeball thing

projectRDM
08-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Bottom. You want the tie rod as parallel to the ground as possible. On a dumped car, the tie rod can sit as much as 45 degrees up. Bumpsteer would be stupid with it binded up like that.

Brian
08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
that is exactly why i need these tie rod ends.
hahaha.
well actually, it isn't even funny.
:(

Steeles
08-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Bottom. You want the tie rod as parallel to the ground as possible. On a dumped car, the tie rod can sit as much as 45 degrees up. Bumpsteer would be stupid with it binded up like that.

*runs to warehouse to look at my car...*

Var
08-20-2004, 05:26 PM
that is exactly why i need these tie rod ends.
hahaha.
well actually, it isn't even funny.
:(

www.splparts.com

they got their own tie rods/ends and SURPRISE!!! they're priced well.

they dont seem to be on the site anymore..they were 145 bucks last time i saw

projectRDM
08-20-2004, 09:00 PM
True, but the SPL's aren't spherical I don't think.

Steeles
08-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Russ yeah they were lookded alot like my kazamas. something about where it attached to the tie rod itself was differnet though... cant remember but the adjustable assembly was damn near a carbon copy. I looked at mine yesterday. I could stand to move a spacer around.... or lower the car more.... :)

Brian
08-21-2004, 09:54 AM
i have Tein units now.
i want to get Kazama or Nams ends.