PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of a broken or snapped Input shaft?

Siizzzoooo
08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Well I searched and came up with nothing.

I think it may be the case with my car, but I'm not really sure, so if anyone knows some things I should if I had a snapped input shaft then please post up :)

Var
08-19-2004, 05:05 PM
how bout we reverse the process and you tell us what's wrong with your car

Siizzzoooo
08-19-2004, 07:15 PM
ok, here are a series of posts that i have put up

1)Well yesterday I took my friend for a ride in my car. I took it all the way through 3rd gear. While shifting into 3rd gear, i broke traction and then it started making a funny noise-sounded like it was thumping like you would when you hit a pothole.

Anyways, today I drive car to work, no problems whatsoever

On my way home I hear a slight hint of the thumping, but nothing major. Make it home just fine.

Well, I decide to leave to go to Autozone and buy some thigns to change my oil. When I leave my neighborhood, i take 1st gear to about 4000 rpm and that thumping is back! But at this point, it feels like a clutch slip. In gear, the more gas, the more thumping i hear from the rear while it is kinda slipping. Its like when I gave it gas it would hold on, and slip..this happened repeatedly.

So I make it to Autozone, buy my stuff and leave...Put it in reverse and NOTHING! Just revs.

Looked at the driveshaft, and looks fine.

I really dont think its the clutch. I had put in a new one in October of '03. Still grabs hard without a doubt. Though it is a sprung 6 puck, so I dont know how those things go out.

2)put the car in first, let go of clutch...no stall
put the car in 2nd, let go of clutch...no stall
same for third
put car in 4th , let go of clutch...IT STALLS!
put car in 5th no stall
put car in reverse no stall

3)1st gear spins about half a turn and then stops
2nd, nothing
3rd, nothing
4th, looks like i could drive the car! its spins great.
5th, nothing
reverse, nothing

Var
08-19-2004, 07:43 PM
what about any kind of noises when you put it in the "missing" gears and let the clutch out

Var
08-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Ok here is my advice and what i think happened. Catastrophic transmission failure. WHat was spinning was your synchro, not you clutch. Bearings, and synchro hubs are shitted on. Jack your car up and open up the drain plug on your transmission and watch golden and yellow metals fall out in pieces.

S14DB
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Could you feel the thumping in your ass? Sounds like that nifty clutch just cost you a tranny.

Siizzzoooo
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
actually, i drained it, and only tiny little shavings came out

Siizzzoooo
08-19-2004, 08:12 PM
there are no noises as far as engaging the gears.

when he had teh car runnign in the air, it was almost like the clutch wouldnt catch a gear, except 4th of course

if its the tranny, then i can get a KA one and swap the bellhousings like everyone says, but i'd rather it just be the clutch and end it there.

any other suggestions or comments? and other checks I can do?

Var
08-19-2004, 08:12 PM
ehhh..???? wtf. i logged backed on to say i actually thought you broke gears on your countershaft..but i guess not. You would have seen pieces drain out. How about the magnet? is it dirty? ANy noises?

maybe you broke a shift fork or bent something in the linkage. Are you sure it's actually going into gear? or maybe it's moving up but not actually going in.

Siizzzoooo
08-20-2004, 04:04 AM
is thats the thing, im not really sure if its going in gear. You know how when u put it in a gear, it kinda "clicks" in, well it doesnt do that.it just moves into position then thats about it.

projectRDM
08-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Well it's not the input shaft at all. If it was, the clutch would enage fine, you would never move, ever. Sounds more like a broken fork or retainer. Whatever it is, it's not clutch related.

Siizzzoooo
08-20-2004, 06:53 PM
is there anyway of checking the fork without pulling the tranny?

hurleyboi514
08-20-2004, 07:04 PM
i doubt it... it sounds more like the tranny though like they say. have you tried putting the car in 1st with the car off, then starting it up with a little gas to see if it'll go? my car shot a spring out of the clutch disc and it acted very similar to this. i had to cut the car off to put it in first, and had to double clutch and rev match to get it into another gear...

Siizzzoooo
08-21-2004, 09:03 AM
i havent done that, its too late to try since I just drained my tranny fluid..lol

I'm gonna pull the tranny out today, and first thing I'm gonna check is the clutch. I'd rather it be the clutch since I have a new one coming in.

I guess we will find out, hopefully, what is wrong with it today