PDA

View Full Version : Problems after retune sr20det

entrapm3nt
06-27-2015, 11:19 PM
I have a 97 starfire kouki with a built sr20det. I just bought new 1000cc injectors and installed them. then sent my ecu off to get retuned by rs-enthapy. Its running rich at cold start and eventually leans out and dies. its also blowing white smoke that smells like gas. im pretty sure its air fuel related. Before the tune it was at least driveable but still had problems with air fuel going crazy. i tried unplugging the maf sensor and cold starting it. it took FOREVER to warm up but my afr was soild 10.5 at idle. Had rough idle with maf unplugged but didnt turn off by itself. i got my aeromotive fpr set at 38 with the vaccume line plugged in. Martin from rs enthapy said i have a pinched injector o ring but i really dont think i do but will be double checking tomorrow. Also whats odd is with the maf plugged in it warms up VERY fast from a cold start. about 1-2 min max. Any of you have any suggestions? i finally have some time off to work on this car for once instead of just 1 hour a day. thanks in advance. heres a picture of her. <3

http://i60.tinypic.com/j18591.jpg

jr_ss
06-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Most of the time the issues are related to components on the setup and it's not the tune.

Sounds like you may have a vac leak somewhere. Check the orings for sure.

entrapm3nt
06-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Most of the time the issues are related to components on the setup and it's not the tune.

Sounds like you may have a vac leak somewhere. Check the orings for sure.

O rings on the injectors were fine but the ones they plug into on the intake manifold were somewhat chewed up.Is that considered a vaccume leak? gotta get new ones tomorrow. Also changed my spark plugs and they were really black from running rich. But i still think there is more issues here. going to also buy another z32 n62 maf for the hell of it and try it.

entrapm3nt
06-29-2015, 08:57 PM
so i put new o ring cushins in and a new isis z32 maf and a new filter. was still running about the same just less smoke. it would try to lean out and die so i adjusted the cas and it helpped it from dieing. not sure if i did it 100% correct tho. also im thinking maybe i should turn my fuel pressure up since everything is upgraded? my vacuume at idle is around 12 so im pretty sure it has a leak after driving it it felt slow af. maybe a boost leak also but i did a leak test like a month ago and couldnt find anything.

jr_ss
06-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Check your mechanical timing. Then set your CAS. It sounds like your timing is way off. Fuel pressure should be 38 w/vac, 42w/o.

entrapm3nt
07-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Check your mechanical timing. Then set your CAS. It sounds like your timing is way off. Fuel pressure should be 38 w/vac, 42w/o.

its about as close as i can get it to 20 degress tdc. its still running poorly tho and im pretty sure i have a vacuume leak that i can not find. my gauge reads -12 at idle. feels like boost leak also.

jr_ss
07-02-2015, 03:30 PM
If you have a vac leak, you're also going to have a boost leak.

Base timing is 15* BTDC, not 20*.

Kingtal0n
07-02-2015, 04:29 PM
I think is just 1000cc on pump gas + rom tune with a maf ECU means your desired air fuel ratio can be just 3% off the mark and it would give you a margin of 95% confidence to be more than 1 full a/f away from correct.

for example, if the injector latency calibration is just .25ms off target that would be like getting almost an extra 1ms of fuel from a stock injector at idle pw times. You need a real computer to run 1000cc injectors, or some other way to adjust the fuel map like a SAFC as a band-aid. Asking any person to guess what idle pulsewidth a 1000cc injector will be stable at on a 122cubic inch engine without being in front of the vehicle... well it isnt a job I would take, because I know how much trial/error is involved to know better. I hope this engine is on E85 btw

entrapm3nt
07-03-2015, 08:52 PM
I think is just 1000cc on pump gas + rom tune with a maf ECU means your desired air fuel ratio can be just 3% off the mark and it would give you a margin of 95% confidence to be more than 1 full a/f away from correct.

for example, if the injector latency calibration is just .25ms off target that would be like getting almost an extra 1ms of fuel from a stock injector at idle pw times. You need a real computer to run 1000cc injectors, or some other way to adjust the fuel map like a SAFC as a band-aid. Asking any person to guess what idle pulsewidth a 1000cc injector will be stable at on a 122cubic inch engine without being in front of the vehicle... well it isnt a job I would take, because I know how much trial/error is involved to know better. I hope this engine is on E85 btw

Its not on e85. and to the other person i guy who tuned my ecu said i should have it at -20 tdc. The car is running a lot better not but its still very slow. the vacuume at idle is about -12 to -14. But i looked everywhere for leaks. Im going to recirculate my bov and that should fix my stalling issue. Just want it to run good and have the hp it should have. But the 1000cc injectors i choose were approved by rs-enthapy. thats who retuned my ecu. idk if i forgot to mention but this sr is bored over with 270 cams new pistions, rods and everything.

jr_ss
07-04-2015, 08:26 AM
That's fine and all, but why not try 15* BTDC? It's as simple as rotating the CAS.

270's are going to idle with lower vacuum numbers, how low will depend on a lot of other variables. I'd say 16-18in/hg. I think you have some more sensor testing to do. Vac leaks can be found wth some brake clean or carb cleaner. Spray all around the manifold and anything that is post throttle body.

entrapm3nt
07-04-2015, 09:45 AM
That's fine and all, but why not try 15* BTDC? It's as simple as rotating the CAS.

270's are going to idle with lower vacuum numbers, how low will depend on a lot of other variables. I'd say 16-18in/hg. I think you have some more sensor testing to do. Vac leaks can be found wth some brake clean or carb cleaner. Spray all around the manifold and anything that is post throttle body.

because my tuner said to set at 20 btdc based on my set up. And im too scared to use carb cleaner. i tired soapy water and it wasnt enough to tell. :( But i think it def has a leak somewhere becuase -14 in/hg is pretty low i think. im just gonna take it to a shop with a smoke machine i think. unless i can figure out a way to do it with my e-cigarette LOL

jr_ss
07-04-2015, 01:53 PM
First and foremost, always have a fire extinguisher around. You don't have to use what I suggested, a can of CO2 would work as well, just in the opposite direction.