PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Redtop runs rich

Ledheavy
06-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Hey guys, new to the SR maybe you can help me out.
My redtop is running really rich, & it gets sh*t gas mileage.
Little background, I just got it, it was abused, needed basically a complete exhaust & i had to rebuild the top end because the head gasket blew :picardfp: so i only had a few moments of seat time with it to begin with. Stock everything except I was told it had an upgraded turbo, not sure how to tell what kind of Garrett it is. New 02 with the exhaust repair. Anyway it seems to run very rich at idle (about 800rpms) all the way up to about 21-2300 rpms, I can smell it & it feels / sounds different than when its in the higher rpms. Once the power band hits about 2800rpms+ she seems to purr pretty good, she pulls nice, except it doesn't have a boost gauge yet & i have no idea how much boost its running so i don't run it hard or past 3900, especially with only a few hundred miles on the top end. she backfires occasionally after longer stints on the freeway in the lower rpms only. Is this to be expected? Should I take it to a tuner? If so, do i need any additional upgrades beforehand? Long way to go, any pointers would be appreciated.

yitzac1990
06-24-2015, 11:35 AM
if you are still running basically all stock parts and stock boost level, it should be rich. I assume you have aftermarket exhaust and no cat converter? if you look at the OEM tune from the factory, its insanely rich. which is why you can turn the boost up to 15 psi on a stock setup and still have enough fuel to run safely.

Ledheavy
06-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Correct, i sorta of assumed that just based on my basic understanding of motors in general, i suppose for now my only real concern is that it is hard to start, especially after its been sitting. My guess is that it is related the the rich running issue, however I have yet to put a timing gun on it to see if i can mess with the CAS to clean it up a bit. Will update once i get my boost guage installed.

Kingtal0n
06-28-2015, 04:26 PM
boost leak. the fuel economy should be 25-28mpg. In the city with me boosting everywhere I always got at least 24 mpg.

Ledheavy
06-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I do believe I have a vacuum leak at the valve cover T which I am working on, any suggestions, I cant seem to find a replacement & i need to seal it up.

Ledheavy
07-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Any suggestions for sealing the valve cover T would be awesome, I found a leaking fuel line that was contributing to my loss in fuel economy. For now I'm still curious about my hard to start condition. I'd like to check the ignition timing, but I haven't been able to find a clear procedure & I'm wondering, how do I connect an ignition wire to the #1 cylinder ignition coil? Do I just remove the boot & shove the wire up there??. If anyone can direct me to some links that would be great!

Kingtal0n
07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
the middle coilpack wire for cylinder number one will work with most timing lights. Just be sure to use the correct pickup orientation, they are directional.

If you have trouble starting, and you have a #62 ecu, first thing I would look at is the orange wire "start signal" at the ecu, as this wire not being connected can add a few seconds to start time.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/kingtal0n/Kingtal0ns_240sx_2/P1200499_zpsn7teaftx.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/kingtal0n/media/Kingtal0ns_240sx_2/P1200499_zpsn7teaftx.jpg.html)

Ledheavy
07-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Most excellent, I can take it from there, I will also be checking that starting signal wire today! Thanks!!