PDA

View Full Version : Ka24de won't start

Tyhawk77
06-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi guys I've looked everywhere to find the problem with my Ka, I have an 89 hatch and I did the de swap and the car started right up drove for months then I went to a drift event and on the 3 time I went out my car backfired and it it kept running then when I went to exit the track it backfired again and it died, never turned on, then I towed the car home and a week after the event I adjusted my timing and got a new O2 sensor and the car started then it did the same thing after driving maybe 200 yards. I would greatly appreciate some guidance. My motor is a 92 ka24de.

240trooper
11-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Don't mean to bump a old post but I figured it's better than starting a new thread. I'm having the same exact issue and am wondering if the op figured out what the problem is or if anyone can point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

kyral
11-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Not enough information. but id take a shot at adjusting the ignition timing a few degrees and playing with the iacv, and maybe try a new MAF but again not really enough information here. and the title is very deceptive

240trooper
11-19-2016, 05:29 PM
So I was driving on the fwy doing 50mph and my car started backfiring VERY loudly and as I was pressing the gas I felt my car wanting to die. I pulled over and it died and I haven't been able to start it since. Ok so I have spark and fuel. I thought it was my distributor because when I popped my cap off I was able to rotate the rotor in one direction but not the other direction ( distributor was still attached to the motor). I swapped it out for a known working dizzy and it started for a second then died out. I've had IACV issues in the past but that was all fixed and it never caused a no start. I also don't think it's the maf cuz even when I unplugged it it still wouldn't start. In the past I've started the car no problem with the maf unplugged just can't rev past 3000 rpm. Sorry about the title this isn't my thread I just bumped an old one with the same exact issues. I'm going to try adjust the dizzy timing and see if that helps. The car turns over but just won't start. Once I get a ride I'm going to check the compression to make sure I didn't blow the motor. Thanks for your help.

240trooper
11-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Ok compression checked it and it has good compression over all cylinders. Also tried adjusting the timing through the dizzy and I got it to start for a second a couple times but it would just backfire and die.

240trooper
11-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Found the problem. Incase it ever happens to someone else ( I doubt it!). Somehow the bolt that attaches the idler sprocket to the motor ripped itself out of the head along with the threads from the head. Also the lower right ( drivers side) chain guide either had the bolt back out or ripped it out. Not sure on that yet until we get the lower front timing cover off. This all caused the gear on the idler sprocket that meshes with the dizzy to be off by a couple mm and threw off the timing.